• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Look at this mess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very kind words from you PN, thank you so much. You’re sure right about my struggles to get back into muzzleloading. Deciding to go with the 32 started the whole thing. Having forgotten some of the stuff I’d learned earlier when I had a 50 cal Thompson Hawkins. It was easy, plus I lived in Houston and bought from people who knew what I needed. This time it was all online and I needed everything to fit the Traditions Crockett 32. I wound up with a lot spent on stuff that didn’t fit. Then I was forced to make a minimum purchase of 5 lbs of powder and 3000 percussion caps.

But today the gun shot well. Maybe my struggles are over!

Thanks for your time!

Very kind words from you PN, thank you so much. You’re sure right about my struggles to get back into muzzleloading. Deciding to go with the 32 started the whole thing. Having forgotten some of the stuff I’d learned earlier when I had a 50 cal Thompson Hawkins. It was easy, plus I lived in Houston and bought from people who knew what I needed. This time it was all online and I needed everything to fit the Traditions Crockett 32. I wound up with a lot spent on stuff that didn’t fit. Then I was forced to make a minimum purchase of 5 lbs of powder and 3000 percussion caps.

But today the gun shot well. Maybe my struggles are over!

Thanks for your time!
Awesome! Putting squirrels in the pot in no time at all!

Your swabbing method may or may not be a part of the problem with the mis-fires.

If you are shoving the dampened patch down the bore and then pumping the ramrod up and down to scrape off the fouling before removing it, you are causing loose fouling to blow back into the flame channel that runs from the bottom of the nipple to the bore. That can cause a lot of mis-fires.

The right way to swab IMO, is to dampen the patch and shove it all the way to the breech in one smooth motion. Then, let it sit there for 3-5 seconds to allow the alcohol or water to soak into the fouling on the bore. After this wait, pull the ramrod and wet patch back out of the bore in a slow, smooth manner.
The wet fouling will be wiped out of the bore without loose fouling getting blown back into the flame channel.
You can follow this with a dry patch to dry off any dampness that remains in the bore but IMO it really isn't necessary.

If you haven't done it, buy some pipe cleaners. The kind pipe smokers use to clean the pipe stem.
When you clean your rifle, wet a pipe cleaner and run it thru the flame channel under the nipple. You should be able to see it coming into the bore if you peek down it with a flashlight.
Then, remove the pipe cleaner and run a clean, dry one back and forth in the flame channel.

Another tip. When you loading the rifle make sure there is no cap on the nipple and the hammer is at half cock. This allows air to be blown out thru the nipple as the patched ball or the bullet is rammed down the bore. The venting air will help to carry fresh powder thru the flame channel to the bottom of the nipple.

Have fun. :)
Always good advice from you Zonie!

I’ve really been pleased with my gun this morning. It fired after being loaded all night, then went on to fire 13 times consecutively before a FTF. Then I cleaned it thoroughly with Hoppe’s #9, then lots of dry swabs. The same cleaning to the flame channel and the nipple. Then I began firing again with just a ball on a dry patch.

So Far So Good!

I’ve really been pleased with my gun this morning. It fired after being loaded all night, then went on to fire 13 times consecutively before a FTF. Then I cleaned it thoroughly with Hoppe’s #9, then lots of dry swabs. The same cleaning to the flame channel and the nipple. Then I began firing again with just a ball on a dry patch.

So Far So Good!

Hey Gowacky!
I have been following your adventure with your Crockett, and I must say I admire your tenacity, and ingenuity with the spoon.
I may just try that one minus the super glue. Never thought about repurposing a spoon that way....
and I do like the look. Heheh

Keep trying, and you will find what works best for you and the Crockett.
Sounds like it is a pretty good shooter now, and I cannot wait to take mine out and see what happens.

I was thinking I needed to pound on the side a bit to encourage my FFF to trickle under the nipple better.

I make that standard practice. Used to have misfire problems much more before doing that. You can also get some precision drill bits and find one that just fits snug in the nipple hole to clean it up and possibly make a it a teeny, teeny, teeny, teeny bit larger. You have to be very careful with that, but that has also increased the percentage of times my gun goes off. A misfire is a rare, rare condition since those two things. In fact, I can't recall once since.

Railshot I’m beginning to believe there is something to the peep shot idea that your eye will just center on the aperture and all you will see is the front sight. I do shoot with both eyes open and even with the size of the spoon I see everything down range. And I just picked a drill bit at random as there seems to be those who want a ghost ring while others want a small hole.

And the super glue is effective but should it be gone when faced with a griz I still have the factory sights in place.

I dont know why they make the nipple hole so small either but I don’t think I will try to open it any.

Have you tried the "Hot Shot" or "Spitfire" nipple? These are designed to get more of the flame from the cap to the powder charge. I use a "Hot Shot" nipple when I shoot my percussion rifles. There is seldom a failure to fire.

I would be cautious about running a dry patch to wipe the bore between shots. I have had fouling cake up and just lock that patch and jag in place. The only cure is to pour some water or a very thin lubricant down the bore to loosen the powder. At our club range, we have a hook on a post and very large vise just to have alternative methods to remove stuck patches. We seldom have to remove the breech plug and drive the stuck item out.

I’m using the Hot Shot nipple but would bring in the Spitfire just to try. I would really like a taller nipple but guess the hammer would hang up. If I could remove the hammer I would remove just a little of the stop. However, when I removed the action just once, the hammer looked like it was pressed in. I didn’t try to get it loose. But I need it loose if I want to file on that stop.

...the hammer looked like it was pressed in.
This is how it should be - the hammer is a very snug press-fit onto the tumbler shaft. Please don't randomly pry the hammer as you can snap the tumbler shaft. It needs to be removed gently and evenly. My suggestion is fix the nipple rather than messing with the lock geometry.

Thanks, that’s what it looked like to me. I would like to remove some of the stop but guess that can’t be done.

Thanks, that’s what it looked like to me. I would like to remove some of the stop but guess that can’t be done.
It can be done - doesn't mean it should be done...
Get a different nipple.

Last edited:
Back