• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longs Locks of Denver???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild willie 10

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 54 cal. Hawkin ML at a Gun Show. I proceeded to tear it down to inspect and give the gun a good cleaning. I found "Longs Locks, Denver". The dealer told me that the gun was produced in Hot Springs, Arkansas. He had no further information. I'm trying to date the manufacture of this gun. I asked a muzzle loader gunsmith if he knew of this type of lock and possible the age of the gun. He is in his late 60's and had been in the business since he was 19 years old. He said he had never heard of the name of "Longs Locks of Denver". If you have ever heard or have any experience with thislock name please let me know. Dating the lock could possibly help in dating the gun.

Thanks,
Wild Willie

Ron Long was one of the top blackpowder shooters in the 70's and 80's. I know he did make locks. Although I've never seen one I'd expect it is a good one, he certainly knew what a good lock is.

I have a couple of Long locks and they are first rate. One pistol is dated 1981, so he was probably making them well before that date. I seem to remember that someone else uses his tooling now--maybe L&R.

Ron's locks and triggers are now being made and sold by R.E. Davis Lock Company and has been for many years now. Ron sold all the molds and the muzzleloading parts business back in the 1980's. If you call Tim Tressel at the R.E. Davis Lock Company he may be able to fill you in on the specific dates and how many times these molds changed hands since Ron designed them. The so called Bridger Hawken parts sold through outlets such as TOTW,i.e. lock, triggers, buttplate, and breech and tang were all designed by Ron as well as the Hawken Flintlock that Davis sells.

The first (and only) custom Hawken I built used a Long perc. lock and triggers, back ca. 1980. It performed very well for me for a number of years, but I traded it off for a flintlock rifle (and wish I still had it!). They were good locks.

That's all I'll ever use on a Hawken rifle. Back when Ron was making these parts, you could wear them around your neck for jewelry. He took the time to machine all the castings to a fine finish.
You can't find that kind of stuff on the market now days.
Yet, even still they are the best Hawken parts on the market anywhere. IMO!

The inside of mine looks like the inside of a fine watch. Another favorite lock is the Schillinger on my S. Hawken rifle. Same level of quality.

My left hand Leman Indian trade rifle has a Long percussion lock. I think my rifle was made in the early 80's. It is a well made lock, although
I wish it were flint.

Russ T, I had the privelege to meet and get to know Dutch Schillinger back when I lived in Wichita. He was a meticulous artist and a fine old gentleman. His locks, sights, and anything else he made looked like jewelry. Those were the days when folks took pride in their product. There are a few left but it seemed to be the norm back then.
Dang! Listen to me. I must be getting old or things are changing faster than I care to keep up with. :)

Back