• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longhunter School

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelockhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of it? Gentlman on another forum mentioned it to me, but did not go into detail. He's leaving for a period trek tommorow so I won't get the chance to ask him for a few days.

Any info is apprciated

i wouldnt want to go to school to learn the skills i now have it must be done by yourself in the feild and seeing what works for you cause what works for mark baker doest always work for me. :m2c: but here is a site about learning native skills on a trek http://cosmictraveler.com/native/trips.htm and there is also another one on there. :front:

Sounds cool,Nothing wrong with learning the basics.Was there anymention of what is coverd? Is it like a primative skill's class or just kind of a living historey thing where you learn by particapation ?

I went to the School of the Longhunter at Prickett's Fort for the first time this past spring. It is a great event! Lot's of great speakers (including John Curry) and seminars on a variety of period topics, music and dance, fort feast - some food including meats provided by the fort foundation and potluck from the participants (very yummy!), an auction of donated period items, a trek, some sutlers, and great period camp right on the fort grounds. There was a great bunch of people there. I had a great time and can't wait for the next one in spring of 2006!

I like learning things from other people as well as learning on my own. This may be called a school but it is like no other one I have been to. It is worth checking out if you have not been to this event in the past. :imo:

I just looked this up. this is an event I'll be putting on my calender, most definately. Face it, us Northern hunters gotta be represented too! :front:

I nover thought I'd be describing myself as a northern anything!:::cry:

i think they had an article in muzzle blasts a while ago about this school looked intresting but to far away

curly maple

i think they had an article in muzzle blasts a while ago about this school looked intresting but to far away

curly maple

One man's loss is anonther man's gain; It's about 3 hours or so from here. Thanks to all you good folks in this thread for reminding me. :hatsoff: There was a fort within a mile of my home, I need to find an old timer and get out and wade through the brush and see if anything remains.

Here is another great event along those same lines. The Kentucky Woodsman Weekend held at Ft. Boonesborough, KY on November 5th and 6th. I have always wanted to attend, but it's too far for a weekend. Here is a quote from Bill Farmer at Fort Booneborough from another board:

The Kentucky Woodsmans Weekend will have the following folks as presenters. Wallace Gussler, Ted Franklin Belue, Nancy O'Malley, John Bramel, Steve Welch, William Smith, Wayne Milton, Jon Hagee, and some guy named Bill Farmer. Topics include the 18th C. frontiersman and his accoutrements, stations and forts, Native influence, Foot Travel in Western Virginia, horn making, bag making, persona development, linking persona to a real person/ancester from the past using genealogical research, and putting together a first time "kit" for newcomers without spending a fortune.
Fee is $50/person for the weekend. There will be a meal for all participants on Saturday evening. Cabin lodging space goes first to the presenters, then to attendees on a first come basis. There should be room for most to stay indoors. Be prepared to pitch a camp, especially if you will be arriving late. Presentations will begin at 8 am on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Most should be completed by noon/1pm or thereabouts on Sunday. There are restrooms, water, firewood, and free ice. Showers are in the modern campground at no charge. Remember notebooks, cameras etc., as there should be a lot of good info and things to see! There is still room available. E-mail the fort at [email protected] for registration.

There is a move afoot to try and have a School of the Longhunter at Fort Dobbs in the near future. If it works out, it will be posted plenty in advance.

Haven't been to Prickett's Fort school of the Longhunter weekend for several years now. They do, or did, let PC campers attend but not participate in the school activities. The socializing and interactivity helps exchange personal and pertinant PC ideas of the participants making it a social, as well as instructional, weekend. Pricketts is a close enough event that some of the Rangers of the Ohio Company attend as instructors and speakers on PC topics, as well as socializing :crackup: reprobates. I encourage the newer folks to give it a try, once, and see what you know, already, as opposed to what you can learn. :front: Then, you can decide whether to return or not. :m2c:

Latest posts

Back