• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Gun Case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfortwerth

32 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone besides SKB make a long gun case, which is airline approved, and will accommodate a smoothbore approximately 60 inches in length?

I like my case from Unique, but as a soft case I don't think I'd put it on a plane. Crazy crow has a rigid case, pricey and I recall someone said thiers did not hold up to baggage handling, but may be the thing you're looking for.

I like my case from Unique, but as a soft case I don't think I'd put it on a plane. Crazy crow has a rigid case, pricey and I recall someone said thiers did not hold up to baggage handling, but may be the thing you're looking for.
Thanks, I have never heard of Crazy Crow before, I will check them out.

Does anyone besides SKB make a long gun case, which is airline approved, and will accommodate a smoothbore approximately 60 inches in length?
Others build them to order but SKB likely makes the least expensive durable case of that size. The Log Cabin had a few used aluminum cases of that size a few months back: I don't know if they still have them or not.

Obviously if air travel with said long gun is to be a regular occurrence, then a high priced solution might be worthwhile.

Another alternative that would side-step commercial passenger flight regulations would be to box your gun securely and ship it (insured) to and from your destination via UPS or similar. Some of the guns I have had shipped from DGW and others have arrived in some moderately gnarly boxes but the guns themselves were well padded and secure and arrived undamaged.

Obviously if air travel with said long gun is to be a regular occurrence, then a high priced solution might be worthwhile.

Another alternative that would side-step commercial passenger flight regulations would be to box your gun securely and ship it (insured) to and from your destination via UPS or similar. Some of the guns I have had shipped from DGW and others have arrived in some moderately gnarly boxes but the guns themselves were well padded and secure and arrived undamaged.
Agreed. I don't think air flight is not going to be a regular occurrence, but I certainly don't want to take a risk even once. I found an SKB iSeries 6018-8 on Amazon for about $100 less than any other place. I figure it will get used the rest of my life. I have had several issues with getting packages delivered from all the carriers. I went ahead and ordered it. The case arrived yesterday, and this is how it looked on my front porch. Thank goodness the case is built like a tank. I wouldn't want an expensive long gun to be delivered like this. Once I had a musket delivered with the muzzle sticking out of the end of the box. Fortunately, it was only scratched a little, but shoots just fine.

Attachments

• uItlrLuPi95JOWMehlTI.jpeg
    uItlrLuPi95JOWMehlTI.jpeg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 0
  • lC9u0DhcfRGzrl2XDhZj.jpeg
    lC9u0DhcfRGzrl2XDhZj.jpeg
    958.5 KB · Views: 0
If you were willing to ship it, you could buy some large diameter PVC pipe. Glue some clean out plugs (screw in) to the ends, and then design some filler. At the diameter needed, it might cost nearly what a case would cost (have you priced schedule 40 or 80 PVC lately?). Cost me around $50 for a 5 foot section and some caps for a project, and I only needed 3 feet!

Back