• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Barrel Flintlock Sporting Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed are images of a flintlock sporting gun of approximately 1800-1810. The gun is a 24 bore with a iron 43-inch barrel with English proof marks but a Spanish made barrel and stamped withe letter F , the lock does not have a name and the furniture is all brass
Feltwad
100_4642.JPG

100_4644.JPG

100_4645.JPG
100_4648.JPG

Dear Felt Wad. I once had a 12 bore flint gun about the same date but re use of an older barrel The barrel was 50" and quite massive at the breach I figured it was a sort of Magnum of its day . The Farmer who's land I shot on said "We can see thee cummin afore we can see thee" Wish Ide have kept it but I had a lot pass through my hands like we do
Regards Rudyard .

Yes, the gun has a long barrel, but 43-inch s is rather unusual has most are 40 or 42, it is one of three flintlocks two singles and a double I have bought in the last month all are smooth bore sporting guns
Feltwad

You will find that these import Sanish barrels were common in the flintlock era, most were of iron with a wavy figure with light and dark brown some had a green pattern, I have restored a number of single barrel flintlocks and flintlock conversions with these types of barrels, these were proofed in London and later in Birmingham, but all were stamped with letter F
Feltwad
P1010020.JPG

Last edited:
F for foreigner IE not a member of the Gunmakers Company / Guild however they styled themselves probably threw in Worshipful or two. 'They seemed to use such force as Youde think they wanted to punch through . I stocked up a nice and very old Barrel by Alonzo Martinez certainly looked like they wanted to do I've another by Roxas same . They used Turkish barrels, Indonesian ones all sorts as took the customers fancy if both sources produced good barrels If commonly Spanish or Italian ones . Some might have been out of the" Grand tour 'Sul veneer that many of the wealthy would take, Sort of the Big OE for todays Back packers . Regards & good on you for shewing us such goodies .
Rudyard

Thanks for showing that gun, @Feltwad ! It's a beauty.

The coloration on the octagonal section of the barrel is spectacular!

The "spider" front sight is interesting. I understand those were generally used on the "Chief's Guns" traded or gifted to some of the American natives, but not on the more common guns.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks for showing that gun, @Feltwad ! It's a beauty.

The coloration on the octagonal section of the barrel is spectacular!

The "spider" front sight is interesting. I understand those were generally used on the "Chief's Guns" traded or gifted to some of the American natives, but not on the more common guns.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
The spider front sight is not uncommon on the early single barrel flint shotguns I have come across this several times on restoration also the coloration of the wavy pattern it is the type of metal used which browning brings out the figure same has Damascus twist
Feltwad

Very nice! Reminds me of the gun I bought from Mulebrain back in July of this year. Originally thought it to be a .62/24 gauge, come to find out it has a 44" inch Colerain Turkey Choke barrel, 20 gauge taper choked to 24 gauge, with a Chambers Virginia lock. I've been testing different wadding and was surprised to find that I can get the gun to open the pattern to more like a modified choke, Already shot several squirrels.
W.E. Thompson Smooth Rifle #2.jpg
W.E. Thompson Smooth Rifle #5.jpg

Not a very long one --Only 39" originally Rusted17b. now 14b.
Name says RYAN & WATSON. (B'ham proof). Shewn in Brum 1777--1830
Found as a deralict drum & nipple convert and in process of trying to make
Silk purse.. Lock is a rebuild to flint as it was when built. 8lb. but handles well.

Attachments

• 100_5351.JPG
    100_5351.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_5352.JPG
    100_5352.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_5352.JPG
    100_5352.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_5353.JPG
    100_5353.JPG
    853.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5359.JPG
    100_5359.JPG
    812.6 KB · Views: 0
I love it. Does anyone have any history on the half stock fowler/sporting guns? Earliest date or how common they were?

Enclosed are images of a flintlock sporting gun of approximately 1800-1810. The gun is a 24 bore with a iron 43-inch barrel with English proof marks but a Spanish made barrel and stamped withe letter F , the lock does not have a name and the furniture is all brass
Feltwad
View attachment 168531
View attachment 168533
View attachment 168534View attachment 168535
Hello Feltwad, I have a old Smoothbore with a almost identical narrow with the x on the bead sight and browned the same way I saw that you said it was a Spanish barrel mine is marked L W below the breach with English Proofs, do you know and more about such barrels, cheers.

Latest posts

Back