• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another S/B Flintlock Sporting Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed is an image of an early s/b flintlock sporting gun of 1780 period with a 36-inch plain iron foreign barrel and brass furniture, The gun has had some slight restoration with a new touchhole fitted.
100_4654.JPG

Feltwad

Poor response to this thread less than 100 views historical interest does not seem to be welcome maybe better if there was a forum only for antique weapons
Feltwad

YES, indeed! Lovely. Thank you.

Do you find that an aid for aligning the barrel on target when "shooting flying" or even on fast moving ground targets?

Gus
The gun fits me well it has a good lift, the sighting which you mention of the standing breech I never notice when concentration on a moving target, so it does help me in anyway.
Feltwad

A nice flint gun. I would say a few decades later than 1780. You mention it fits you well. How much do you shoot this one?

The lock is more a standard sporting Birmingham made lock
The brass furniture represents more of 1780 period, the pineapple first appeared in 1786 and was mostly steel or iron and by 1810 it was mostly used know doubt if a maker had a surplus of brass acorn trigger guard etc he most likely would have used them then proof marks would help.
Feltwad

Last edited:
Back