• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lock help please....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
recieved a new smoothie a few months back, ABSOLUTLY BEAUTIFULL well put together piece! at my request the builder used an L&R Classic lock, yeah iknow i know!!!! i have allways used Silers and LOVE them but a had a wild hair to try a L&R, BIG misstake, can't stand the lock! does not throw good spark at all and chews up flints fast. i tightened all screws, tried different size flints and even put a small wood wedge between the springs which helped a little bit. builder offered to fit a large Siler to it which is what i'm leaning towards. would really like to make this lock work but it does not look good! any thoughts, suggestions or other wise???

as in Roy Stroh???? possible to send just the lock i wonder? i have not read very much at all positive about an L&R classic lock, hope to hear what others think before i just give up on it, thank you for pointing out roy!

Why did you wait months?
I'm sure L&R would have made it right if you contacted them sooner. Maybe even now, I can't speak for them.
The L&R Classic is an improved version of the Siler. I have one, it is a great lock. Unfailing performance and great sparker.
My current new L&R Olde English is equally great.

well i wanted to try and trouble shoot it myself but was not able to. i do not like to have to send things out when ya buy them new ya know? ya live and learn, i learned if it ain't broke don't fix it, i'll be staying with Siler in the future.

I had the same problems with an L & R Tryon lock that I had on a Tradegun. After a lot of messing with replacement parts I sent the lock back to L & R and they had it back to me in a week, sparking a lot better. They put on a new Frizzen, Frizzen springs, Mainspring, and cock. I had already done this with spare parts from TOTW, but they (L & R) replaced them again. Their parts seemed to work a lot better than the mail order issues that I was able to get from TOTW.

I like the looks of the L & R locks, but it seems like the metallurgy isn't right. The springs aren't sufficiently springy, and the screws are too small and are too brittle. They do have excellent service, and I'd recommend them for that.

Lisle George

i would contact the guys at L&R, their customer service is awesome, last year i got one of their locks, frizzen was soft and it needed tuning, sent it to them and the fixed it free!

Don't mess with the lock, don't mess with anyone else just send it to Tim or Bill at L&R and they will fix it. I have several L&R's and they all work beautifully.

adkmountainken said:
i contacted Roy Stroh and will be sending it to him, thanks for the heads up on the customer servive of L&R though, sounds like they do stand by thier product!

yes they do and they are free, roy isnt

Well I have to ask, if those guys at L&R are so good, why do they continually let manure out the door in the first place? I see more complaints of this lock company than any other...

Swampy said:
Well I have to ask, if those guys at L&R are so good, why do they continually let manure out the door in the first place? I see more complaints of this lock company than any other...

I like them. I think Davis locks are inferior to El Cheapo imports.
No shortage of opinions here.

Back