• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock for Comment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello:

I think it's a key (lock) of a gun, perhaps grieving. Nowhere has that the length and width to give an opinion ....

Affectionately. Fernando K

Hi Fernando!
Now that is an interesting concept. It looks like it was made this way. Not a later change. Never seen this set-up before. But find it interesting. Thanks for your reply. Most interesting. Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Phil. I purchased this lock by itself just for my lock collection. Have no idea what gun it was fitted to. That's why I was trying to identify the name, so that might give me a clue as to what type of gun it came from. It obviously is well used. But mechanically, it functions fine.
Darn. I neglected to include the measurements. :shake: I'll do that tonight and post back tomorrow. It's a small lock. The size you typically see on late English sporting double guns. Thanks for your response. Rick. :hatsoff:

DSC00456Medium_zps856cc986.jpg

Rick,

that little bit on the front end inside the lock to me says it was in a Double barrel shotgun.. don't know if that was mentioned or not or if it's any help... but it is what it is....

Hello:

The little hook in the front of the plate (plate) serves to engage in a threaded part on the inside of the box (stock) for a screw pin unnecessary and only a screw is needed to hold the key back (lock). Was used in all kinds of quality weapons, were shotguns, pistols and rifles, and this alone does not indicate that it was for a shotgun.

Affectionately. Fernando K

Good to know, I don't normally do much with late flint arms I have seen this on a shotgun and made an assumption.... and we all know how assumptions go... :doh:

Hi Allen. That was my first thought also. I don't have much to do with the late flint period either. I'm sure Fernando is probably right.
Anyway, the lock plate measures 4 1/2" Long X 7/8" wide at the center of the plate. So it's small.
I tried to photograph the plate best I can, but it seems I will have to keep working with the oil and 0000 steel wool. Just can't quite make out that name yet.
Any guess what that name says? Thanks, Rick. :hatsoff:

Hello:

For comparison: Manton replicas of pan (bread) rain-proof, measure 4 5/8 "/ 15/16", the keys to a double-barrel shotgun are 4 1/2 "/ 1", those of a single-barrel shotgun are 4 1/2 "/ 1", and a rifle are 4 3/4 "/ 1" the rifle Shoppe

Affectionately. Fernando

Latest posts

Back