• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early European Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ALL. Happy Valentines Day.

Here is a pistol from my collection. It's not been abused, but well used. I believe this pistol pre-dates 1750. Some interesting features:

. The only marking on the gun is a #2 on the rear, top flat at the breech. Likely, originally made as a pair, with #1 now missing.
. All silver mounted. Probably a custom consignment for an officer. Note the octagon ramrod thimbles.
. The lock looks Germanic to me. Note the tail of the lock plate has three indentations. No frizzen to pan arm. No markings on the lock inside or out.

Based on the lock and thumb piece, I thinking this pistol may be of Dutch origin (?) But I'm not sure. What do you guys think ?

Gone picture heavy here to help things out a bit.

Rick

DSC00701 (Medium).JPG
DSC00702 (Medium).JPG
DSC00703 (Medium).JPG
DSC00704 (Medium).JPG
DSC00705 (Medium).JPG

To my eyes the whole this is amazingly crudely made. I'm less convinced every time I look at it, with what appear to be crudely-cast components. Where are the threads on the screw that hold the top of the flint clamp in place? How does the frizzen spring work? To me it looks like one piece with the lock-plate.

Rich
I think more german than dutch. have you dismounted the barrel or lock to check for markings?
Hi Penske

No, I have not taken the barrel off. Guess I should and check for any markings on the bottom. Germanic may be right. The lock says that more than anything else. I did remove the lock. No markings. I recall reading somewhere that officers would request that the builder leave their custom consignment pistols unmarked - and therefor untraceable. I've seen other horse pistols of similar quality without markings.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. This pistol does appear to have seen a lot of action.

Rick

I have a contact with a researcher at the Dutch Army museum, ill try to run these pics by him to see what he says.

To my eyes the whole this is amazingly crudely made. I'm less convinced every time I look at it, with what appear to be crudely-cast components. Where are the threads on the screw that hold the top of the flint clamp in place? How does the frizzen spring work? To me it looks like one piece with the lock-plate.
It’s a very cool old pistol but there are a few things that I wonder about also; There are no threads on the hammer jaw screw- not even a hint of them. Also, looking down at it you can clearly see that the frizzen isn’t nearly flush with the barrel and there is a very large space between the frizzen cover and the barrel. I can’t imagine this would be an acceptable fitting in its day. Also the frizzen face is completely smooth, as in unused. What’s more is that the toe on the frizzen doesn’t appear to be touching the feather spring. Maybe this frizzen was a poorly fit replacement?
What’s the country or region of origin?

Last edited:
It’s a very cool old pistol but there are a few things that I wonder about also; There are no threads on the hammer jaw screw- not even a hint of them. Also, looking down at it you can clearly see that the frizzen isn’t nearly flush with the barrel and there is a very large space between the frizzen cover and the barrel. I can’t imagine this would be an acceptable fitting in its day. Also the frizzen face is completely smooth, as in unused. What’s more is that the toe on the frizzen doesn’t appear to be touching the feather spring. Maybe this frizzen was a poorly fit replacement?

No U-turn here, Sir. I mentioned the lack of threads and general crudeness. I bleeve it to be a frawk. I've handled dozens of the real deal - mid-18th century horse pistols and similar - all of them were better-made than this item. This is French....with some excellent threads on the jaw......

1708087466453.png

1708087507744.png

1708087706538.png

Bottom looks a frawk to me. Even the cock is mis-sized - I've never seen one that is too big for the lock, as this one is - take look at the example.
1708087542385.png

1708087398540.png

Last edited:
One of the reasons I posted this pistol here is to, well, see what all you think. LOL I've long thought that the top jaw and screw are later replacements using original parts from some other gun. And the frizzen being a later day replacement and artificially aged. So, Ya'll seem to be confirming my observations. Glad I went picture heavy on this Thread. I traded a new condition Mirouku Jap Tower pistol for this one. So even with the misplaced parts, I think I got the better of the deal. Thanks again for all your input.

Rick

GOOD EYE PathfinderNC !
Could be that corrosion has eaten away some of the threads or there is just a short threaded section ?
I've observed numerous oddities in antique firearms over my past 60 years, poor storage conditions over 200+ years can cause
many changes in fit & wear to wood & steel.
As for lack of frizzen face wear, could be this pistol wasn't fired much ?
Relic shooter

Latest posts

Back