• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock bolt interferes with ramrod channel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdwatcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
'Nother glitch noticed on my TVM....

After the original ramrod broke off at the tip before it was ever used, I noticed that the replacement ramrod I bought wouldn't fit all the way down the channel.

Inspection of the original ramrod revealed the butt end was tapered. I figured the ramrod channel must be likewise tapered and as an expedient for looks, cut the replacement ramrod off short to sit in place for show and just used a range rod for load/cleaning (no major inconvenience at the range).

Discovered recently quite by chance that a replacement ramrod fits just fine with the lock removed, the taper on the original ramrod was to push past the front lock bolt partially obstructing the ramrod channel. I tapered the end on a replacement rod and am back in business.

My question is, how usual is it for the lock bolt to obstruct the ramrod channel this way?

Thanks,

Birdwatcher

This question might do better in the gunsmith forum.
However, not just a few guns have the lock bolt with a cut out to allow the rod to slip past it. Take a careful look at how things fit on your gun. A few minutes at the grinding wheel might fix yer problem.
First, however, I would share this unhappy experience with the folks at TVM. :(

Not unusual at all and sometimes necessary on a slender gun. Tapered ramrods were the norm on original guns....regardless of whether or not the bolt interfered.

I taper my rods anyway but when I have an interference problem, as I do with the one I am building now, I slot the bolt tool.

With the lock bolt in the gun as it should be I will put an index mark in the bolt so that I am sure that it is the same way each time.

Then I will file a groove in the bolt with a round file so that the rods end will not hit it when I slide it in. Sometimes up to half the bolt cross section is removed. Since the bolts are only tightened and not toqued down there is still adequate strength to hold the lock in place.

Some guys opt to file a "wasp" waste....a groove all the way around....in their bolts so they don't have to worry about indexing.

The only caveat to either method is if there is too much interference, the ramrod has to be removed before the bolt can be unscrewed to remove the lock.

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not at all unusual. Many guns require a tapered rod. There is little room for the bolt an d ramrod to clear each other on many guns. All of the doubles I have had or worked on required tapered rods.:idunno:

I notched my front bolt. plus little tapper to a longer brass end makes a little bit of hassel when returning the lock after cleaning

Latest posts

Back