• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

locating BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legionair

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a question for anyone near the NY/PA border. Does anyone know of a source for Goex or maybe Swiss blackpowder?
I've been trying my hawken with some 777 3f i have, but ignition is really sporadic. From what I've read here, I've decided to go to real blackpowder and be done with it.
Trouble is, I can't locate anyone in NY who has the license to sell it. I've called a few local places over the border in PA, and they don't carry it either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lost in Tioga county...

Legion said:
I've got a question for anyone near the NY/PA border. Does anyone know of a source for Goex or maybe Swiss blackpowder?
I've been trying my hawken with some 777 3f i have, but ignition is really sporadic. From what I've read here, I've decided to go to real blackpowder and be done with it.
Trouble is, I can't locate anyone in NY who has the license to sell it. I've called a few local places over the border in PA, and they don't carry it either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lost in Tioga county...

Don't know how close this place is to you, but I order mine from a Goex Distributor in Moscow, PA...don't even know if they sell over the counter but it's a start...and if not, she may know locals in your area who do carry it.

Attn: Bonnie
J&J Pyrotechnics Mfg, Inc.
Goex Master Distributor
RR #3 Box 3367G
Moscow, PA 18444
Phone = 1-570-842-3411
Toll Free = 877-748-3473
Fax = 570-842-1206[url] WWW.JJPYROTECHNICS.COM[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.grafs.com/index.cfm
I order my powder from above goex 3f runs $10.59 a pound,get 5 lbs and it will make up for the hazemat fees.
D@R sports in naticoke PA.has black powder for about the same price ,but it is a 2 hours ride from the n.y. line RT80 to RT81 south past wilksbery

I'll second Roundball's recommendation for J&J. I've just placed my first order with them... expect 25 lbs to arrive early next week. Including HAZMAT fees and shipping all the way to pretty near the other side of the country, it comes to $10.64 per lb delivered to my doorstep.

I can get BP "locally" by packing a lunch and driving 100 miles down to the big city, but I'll pay more for it than $10.64 per lb! And then there is the price of gas to consider....

Here's the Goex Distributor location map and their contact info:
[url] http://www.goexpowder.com/distributors.html[/url]

Thanks for the contacts... I'll have to order or maybe take a ride south (depending on what the map says). I may have found something local though. (After all week striking out on the phone)
If it pans out, I'll definately let you guys know... find out monday or tuesday...

keep your nose in the wind... you won't smell last nights dinner

Try contacting Hillary or Chuckie. They probably won't be much help thinking the stuff can be used in an 'assault muzzleloader'

Never did like those two...
Years ago when she came this way for some public photo oportunity, my boss at work made sure my calls were all on the other end of the county.
Like I would show & cause trouble?!?

Last I knew you could still get Goex at Montrose Sporting Goods. If he doesn't have it in stock he will order it for you. Prices are usually pretty good there too.

Are you in Tioga Co. NY or Tioga Co. PA?

I bought Goex at Montrose Sporting Goods several times last year. 25 miles from Binghamton NY, about 40 miles from Owego.

Thanks all for the suggestions....
Looks like I'm taking a drive to Montrose this weekend....

Thanks All,

Went down there today, and he still has it. Still cheap, $10 a can. got 1 ff, 1 fff, and 1 ffff.

figure I can use ff or fff in my .50 and maybe prime with fff if need be, though I doubt I'll run out of ffff any time soon.

again, thanks all

Legion

I called J&J Pyrotechnics Mfg Saturday to check their prices & left a message on their voice mail. Just got a call back today. They are getting $8.60 per pound for Fg, FFg, FFFg, & FFFFg until Janurary. Then the price is going to go up about $.50 per pound. If you pick it up there is no minimum purchase but you pay 6% sales tax. To have it shipped to my zip code near Binghamton it would cost $40 because of the HAZMAT charges.

I was going to offer to go in on a bulk order & I'll pick it up. I guess that I'm a day too late getting prices.

If anyone is interested, contact me ASAP. I'm going to make a trip there within the next week.

Too late....

I got my three pounds, and still have almost two of 777 left ( and almost two of that durned nasty Pyrodex).

Unless the British are coming again, I think I'm set for a while.

Theres got to be others around looking for some real BP, though.

Thanks Legion

Latest posts

Back