• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading With Tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just watched a video where the guy wrapped the round ball in tow before ramming it down the bore, as opposed to loading the round ball on top of the tow. Was this common practice historically? Is it more accurate? Thanks

My point was/is Utube videos don't make a pro.
I responded more about the historical part of your question.
Most of what was common practice, those things that seemed commonly practical and successful, are still in use today.
If wrapping the ball with tow was successful, we'd all already know about it and be sharing the great advantage of doing so regularly.

I saw that video, too, and honestly, I have no idea of what "tow" is. It looks like the sweepings from a barbershop floor, to tell the truth. For me, "tow" is something you do to a trailer.
Tow is the rough leaving of linen making. If it’s a wad of fiber made from old rope it looks the same,we often call it tow though it might be more correct to say oakem, or shredded cedar bark, coconut fiber, moss ect.
It is just tough fluff and was the stuff used for cleaning a gun, and could be used as wading.
Ballistic test show it doesn’t work as well as a modern fiber wad. They knew this in the old days as loading manual talked about using the stuffing from old saddles. This was often tow but very compressed
True tow or imitation tow made from hemp yarn both work well.
I often make a nest at the muzzle and push the ball in, sort of making a patch, shoots almost as well as PRB in my smoothies. I like to use a little lard on it to make it gummy
Tow, said toe to pull a trailer
Tow said tahw is the fiber

All you need is a properly sized ball and something to keep it seated on the powder. That would take a lot of tow. Once there is some fouling in the barrel that will usually be enough. But just to be on the safe side I will roll up a leaf and place in on top of the ball. Just powder, ball, and the leaf (or something similar). Seem to work very well.

My fowler loves Tow on top of the powder, then the ball, then another tow ball over the ball to keep it in. Extremely accurate. at 25 yards it shoots clover leafs...at 50 yards shoots 2 inch groups. But... alas... I can not shoot using tow. It keeps starting fires. Tried to lube the Tow but that just makes it collapse and my groups go completely berserk! Might try it during the elk season here in Wy, as there will probably be a lot of snow on the ground and that should mean .... no fires!

Back