• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Preference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious as to members feelings on loading technique/sequence.
Is there an advantage to be had by loading each component separately after putting in the powder and push each part down or build the load as a stack at the muzzle and push the stack down as a unit unto the BP. I am wondering if the stack load, since each component visible near muzzle, would lend itself to less likely missing a component or doubling up

In the choked gun... I push two cards at a time... 4 total over the powder.. it just cuz I bend and jam the cards threw the turkey choke. they do straightened right out with a push of the rod and you can stack all 4 if you wanted and send them down just fine.

The DP 10.. I stack 3. 4. 5 cards whatever i grabbed right in and send them all down.

I read where you card the muzzle so deep.. pour your shot mix buffer etc.. cap it and send it all down. I don't know. Never tried that one yet. Unless you trying something fancy for turkey.. just pour it.

"Powder patch, ball". Don't know where your interpretation of "load stack" comes from. You pour the powder, tap and/or bump to make sure it has gone all the way down, then short-start and ram a patched ball down that will seat on top of the powder that's already where it's supposed to be. Is there something I'm missing about a "load stack"? I don't see any distinction or any advantage with "loading each component separately". Missing a "component" or "doubling up" is more likely to just be a result of not paying attention to what you're doing. And in fact, the more complicated that you make the procedure, the more likely it is to screw up somewhere along the line. Just my opinion.

Only place I seen it...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240504_151204_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240504_151204_Chrome.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240504_151158_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240504_151158_Chrome.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 0
He did it that way I think just to get the buffer mixed.

I'll try it next time... just because I used allot to much buffer and the wrong muffin mix... I need corn muffin mix now that I just read that again.

"Powder patch, ball". Don't know where your interpretation of "load stack" comes from. You pour the powder, tap and/or bump to make sure it has gone all the way down, then short-start and ram a patched ball down that will seat on top of the powder that's already where it's supposed to be. Is there something I'm missing about a "load stack"? I don't see any distinction or any advantage with "loading each component separately". Missing a "component" or "doubling up" is more likely to just be a result of not paying attention to what you're doing. And in fact, the more complicated that you make the procedure, the more likely it is to screw up somewhere along the line. Just my opinion.
We are talking birdshot here

Why would you need to “tap and/or bump” after pouring the powder? Gravity will move the powder to the bottom unless you have shelves and ledges inside your bore.

OK, I don't shoot birdshot. That was not made clear in the OP. When talking "load stack" is it assumed to be birdshot? Thank you for enlightening a birdshot ignoramus.
I didnt know either. powder, patch ball, ram it.
I too slap the rifle to help settle the powder, maybe its not necessary but I do it. I also always out of habit, blow a long breath into the muzzle after the shot, to help soften fouling.
Just something I got into the habit of doing, much like using a blow tube after the shot in black powder cartridge shooting.

I tap the gun to after pouring powder.. to make sure it settled to the nipple. If I remember..

I don't know.. uncle said with his gun if he didn't tap it would have a delayed ignition sometimes..

I've had a few delayed fires.. just can't remember if I gave it a tap or not...

Why would you need to “tap and/or bump” after pouring the powder? Gravity will move the powder to the bottom...
No, not necessarily, unless you give a little assist. Black powder tends to stick to anything and everything it comes into contact with, including the interior surfaces of the bore. You can't assume that it has ALL just "fallen" down to to the breech face. I'm under the impression this is pretty common practice among black powder muzzle loaders to "settle" all the powder down to the breech, but I'm just a newbie; I don't know much.

First time loading it.

Pushed one a time😆... wool wads even. They push easy to..

Wad ram wad ram wad ram shot wad ram... lol I used all wool fiberwad. It was easy to push...

Now all overshot cards.

Next is better powder. I 🤔

I can get a nitro threw that turkey choke. Surprisingly. 😆 I didn't believe it even though I watched a kid do it in a pattern loading video.

Hickok45 did a Good video loading I think. He almost skychief in it too but forgot oil soaked..

The other one or two videos I liked at the time I can't find..

No, not necessarily, unless you give a little assist. Black powder tends to stick to anything and everything it comes into contact with, including the interior surfaces of the bore. You can't assume that it has ALL just "fallen" down to to the breech face. I'm under the impression this is pretty common practice among black powder muzzle loaders to "settle" all the powder down to the breech, but I'm just a newbie; I don't know much.
Well, I’m not a newbie. Powder goes down and doesn’t cling to soot. If it does just magically defy gravity and cling to soot, ramming the payload home will push it down onto the pile.

Granted he's at a table too...

In the birds fields... you have a nice Organized 👛 👜 and all.. messenger bag etc. The easyer it is too find everything etc the better

That's loading to.. how do we find everything out there.

I'm going to try two sided speed loaders this year... that way I don't have to fish out one tube at a time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240411_165651_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240411_165651_Chrome.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 17148722108472563589797329098045.jpg
    17148722108472563589797329098045.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a pocket in the bag with cards also..

the M & M tube is nice though..

I keep caps in a powder tube.. musket caps.

Attachments

• 20240504_215003.jpg
    20240504_215003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 17148742844877727242258768106197.jpg
    17148742844877727242258768106197.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Well, I’m not a newbie. Powder goes down and doesn’t cling to soot. If it does just magically defy gravity and cling to soot, ramming the payload home will push it down onto the pile.
Your right just the same... it's going to pour and feed and yea lol

I think it's more.. extra measures. It's not gong to hurt...

if you shot 100 clays with a gun no problem no tap.. your not going to bother..

Shooting deer.. one thing or another slow fire no fire what why you know.. bad cap. Something in there.. we just add the tap in case that's the case.

Shooting a clean gun is different... feels less reliable.

Can we foul these things with a shot before the season and hunt it..

I wanted to fire one shot at the range.... not clean it for the season.

Right now it's clean.. hottt water clean..

Are we over cleaning these things?

Latest posts

Back