• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Block Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpmann3518

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After seeing and reading about them I decided to give it a try. Should the holes be the same diameter as the bore? Just thought I would ask before I build something and not have it work.

Drill holes about the size of your ball, then sand until the patched ball will fit snugly in the holes.

Drill Guide for Loading Blocks

Found this somewhere and it helped me...thought it might be helpful here too.

.36 caliber patched ball-------------------->3/8 inch drill bit
.45 caliber patched ball-------------------->29/64 inch drill bit
.50 caliber patched ball-------------------->1/2 inch drill bit
.54 caliber patched ball-------------------->35/64 inch drill bit
.58 caliber patched ball-------------------->19/32 inch drill bit
.62 caliber patched ball-------------------->5/8 inch drill bit

I make mine about .010 over the land to land diameter. A simple way to get exact odd sizes is to drill a hole slightly under desired size and then use a slotted and tapered dowel rod to hold sandpaper. Then sand to the desired size.( a drill press helps, a hand drill will work. ) This will give you a tapered hole which makes for easy loading yet will hold the patched ball securely! :idunno:

Pretty well answered. I like making them because they are a quick, easy project and usually use scrap wood at no cost.
I like to bevel the edges of the holes. I put a 1" grinding ball into my drill press and touch the holes to that for a second or two.
I make the hole fit by hand sanding, if necessary.
Some will disagree, but I like to rub the inside of the holes with beeswax. Works for me.
bulletblock.jpg
[/img]

The bevel makes sense. About all I have been doing since I managed to get some powder was target shoot and wander the woods so the block seemed like an easy way while playing around. Need to actually sight it in and play with the load soon.

I've made 2 blocks, one 6 holer for .50 and one 8 holer for my .54 cal. I also use scrap wood. One is quilted maple and the other is oak. I bevel the holes a bit and used a Dremel (yes, I know) to open up the holes. If you do use a Dremel, go really slow.
I finished both of mine with 2 coats of TruOil and then a good rubdown of bore butter.

I need to make a couple of smaller ones for hunting. 3 shot or so.

I saw this one that another member ('Skunkskinner') made and twisted his arm to let me get one like it...interesting piece of wood, called B&W Ebony.

LoadingBlock.jpg

I made mine from a piece of American chestnut I carried out of the woods on a spring turkey hunt in the mountains of VA some 40 yrs ago. Still works good.

BTW, I made about a dozen when I made the one shown. All are from same piece of wood and all are for a patched .600 ball. I plane the wood to a thickness to fit the ball intended. Sometimes I see people trying to use a hunk of wood about 1" thick on a .45 cal. ball. Akward and unnecessary weight. Planing first sorta customizes the item. One shown is local (Arkansas) maple with a little figure.

Spotted Bull said:
Drill Guide for Loading Blocks

Found this somewhere and it helped me...thought it might be helpful here too.

.36 caliber patched ball-------------------->3/8 inch drill bit
.45 caliber patched ball-------------------->29/64 inch drill bit
.50 caliber patched ball-------------------->1/2 inch drill bit
.54 caliber patched ball-------------------->35/64 inch drill bit
.58 caliber patched ball-------------------->19/32 inch drill bit
.62 caliber patched ball-------------------->5/8 inch drill bit
Thanks, I think that helps everyone. :thumbsup:

i hacked a limb of my maple tree two weeks ago, after it dries i think i'll make a three holer for huntin'. thanks for the info fellas.

My Grandpa used to have a three holer out back. Said he could shoot squirrels from it. :grin:

1776's curly maple block is spectacular!

I've found the hole diameter in the block depends on the ball + patch + lube, so I patch some balls with lube, then try to press fit them ... open the hole up with a small rat tail file or sanding drum. Exact diameter depends on how easy you want the ball/patch to come through.

If .... you are looking for a way to quick reload, I think a lubed/patched/ball grabbed from the bottom of my hunting pouch is best for a follow-up shot. For downed game, I've used a quick re-load with just a bare ball down a fouled barrel, for a close-in shot.

All said, a few patched balls in a maple or wanut block, from your neck on a strap, is a nice addition to a BP hunt.

Latest posts

Back