• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load suggestions for.45 cal Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdick

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Folks
I am soon going to be picking up a .45 cal Pedersoli Kentucky rifle once my licence comes back and would appreciate any advice on loads for a Lee cast ball in .445.
Thanks
Reiver xxv

Does the manufacturer provide guidance? If so, I would follow that. But, otherwise...

Is the rifle and bore new or in good condition? If so, I would start with 40 grains of 2f powder. 3f powder would be OK, too. I would use 4f in the pan.

Starting low at around 40 grains is perfectly okay but I can tell you from experience with a number of .45s that starting around 60 grains will get you into the "hunting" range. 60 to 70 grains of bp is a good place to land. I've taken deer handily with 60 grains. For lighter target loads I'd suggest dropping to 30 grains of 3F.

The Pedersoli web site has recommended loads for every model they sell.

i have a .45 pedersoli kentucky. using 2fg, start with at least 60 grains. once you get the patch thickness sussed out, increase 5 grains at a time and shoot 5 balls for each. with good weather and careful bench shooting, you'll find a charge load yer rifle will like best. make SURE to run a lightly lubed patch down and out ONCE between each firing to keep the fouling soft.

fwiw, 75 grains of 2fg works best in my pk, but all these rifles are different and yers might like a tad more or less. this is the fun part, getting to know yer rifle and figuring out a consistently accurate load.

enjoy, be safe, and have a ball!

I shoot 40 grain FFF with a .013 patch lubed with 20% beewax and 80% lard, and 445 ball with good results on targets and go up to 60 grain fff for deer hunting. To prevent patch burning I use a leather over powder wad. But every rifle has its own "sweet spot" load due to barrel harmonics etc. I suggest you start at 40 grain and go up shooting five shot groups with each charge. :idunno:

I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania in .45 cal. It likes a .440 ball, .015 patch, and 70 grains of Goex 2f best which is what I believe the DGW catalog listed as the suggested loading when I bought it. All the same, I experimented with with different loads using both 2f & 3f as well as .010 patches before settling on the load I currently use.

Wow, just totally WOW. Some of the reply's here will get your rifle blown up and loading in some very unsafe conditions.

I am still looking for an image that would best explain it. I may have to draw one. It deals with patent breeches and volume of powder needed.

I had a .45 that shot well with 70 grains 2f,or 50 3,it was a navy arms in the mid 70s with a 32inch barrel.Will you be able to hunt in scotland,is a .45 big enough for red deer?If paper is your game,you wont need a big charge.I think you will enjoy the heck out of it

559055_4027194840151_459931021_n.jpg

Here we can clearly see that the patent breech plug diameter is 0.6875" deep.

We also know the diameter of the bore is .45

My powder measure is close to that diameter, 11/16" yields 35 grains of powder *REQUIRED* to fill the patent breech. Now my measure is .5" so this slightly OVER the volume needed.

This is why Pedersoli lists 40-90 grain spread.

This should sum it up very nicely.

21232_4855029495500_946472698_n.jpg

*) This image is page 28 from "Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzleloading Shotgun, second edition." by William R. Brockway.

The owner's manual will have the manufacturer's recommended loads. If you are buying second hand and don't have an owner's manual, you can simply use the rule of thumb of using an amount of powder equal to the caliber for target shooting and 1.5 X the caliber for hunting. That would figure out to a starting target load of 45 grains of 3f black powder and a hunting load of around 70 grains of 3f black powder. Of course, these are only starting loads and you will need to try other loads by varying up and down in 5 grain increments from your starting loads to find the load that your particular rifle wants.

let's not make this more complicated than need be.

using 1.5x the caliber for 2FG is a proven, safe, START LOAD for most any ml long gun, regardless of the breech design.

move upwards in powder charge to find what the rifle likes for consistent accuracy.

I'm not into paper punch'n loads, my loads are all developed for hunt'n purpose's and normally start out well past the patent breech....am glad you brought this up though, because I never even considered this...wonder how many have slightly bulging barrels just past the patent breech due to this? :doh:

Would the manufacturers not take this into account with the patent breech? Obviously if it were unsafe to use the breech, it would not be used for "fear" of litigation and unsafe conditions.

Indeed they DO take this into account. When you READ the pdf I linked to Pedersoli load you will notice that each one has a different minimum load. Each manufacture has a listing of loads as well.

I have also seen several rifles with bulges in the barrels at various points and first wondered why this happened. When you look at a patent breech cut away view you very quickly understand.

If you use the ramrod and *MARK* the empty depth you can see very quickly and clearly if you are above that line, so ball diameter plus extra room but no gaps.

When I make a patent breech I always measure the capacity of the chamber to assure myself that a minimum load will leave no airspace in that chamber.
Good advice Ed! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Robby

Back