• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

List of items for rendezvous w/ family

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no your right, when it's night time and there is not much to do, get them really bored so they hate it. Good job! :cursing: :slap:

Mosin Rob is right about bringing drinking water. Mrs Coot doesn't trust most water buffs & always brings several one gallon jugs which are easy to hide in a couple burlap bags. Bring a couple kitchen size plastic trash bags & keep one hidden in another burlap bag for trash that shouldn't go in the fire. Don't bring lighter fluid - many events specifically state no flammable liquids as a safety measure and just with the pre soaked charcoal, everyone in camp can tell a cheater by the smell. If you have a brazier, an easy trick that will save time & mess is to get small brown paper bags (lunch size?) that fit in the brazier & pre load them before the event - a handful of good wood shavings from the shop & then fill to just fit in your brazier with 'cowboy' charcoal & fold shut. When needed, pull one out from where you put then in a burlap bag, put in brazier shavings side down, close brazier & stick a burning twig (or kitchen match) in a bottom hole. No pouring dusty charcoal out of a very obvious non pc Walmart bag.

PS - did anyone mention burlap (or any period fabric) bags to hide/transport stuff in?

Sorry, I guess it's a generational thing.
Todays dependence on electronic devises for entertainment is a cultural statement I find tragic.
Try turning off the portable DVD player and read a book to your kids.
My son was seldom "bored" at any Rendezvous and was exhausted at the end of the day. I usually had to hunt him down along with all the other kids, being social, conversation and playing thing.
It was always about the campfire, smores, frybread, music thing that happens at `vous.

Fwiw, there are FEW things in nature that are more impatient & UNHAPPY than a female who is cold/wet/wants a cup of hot soup, coffee or tea, so one thing that I've found that "improves domestic harmony" (Neither "Duckie" or my, then teenaged adopted, daughter Noemi are "tomboys" and neither are shy about "giving me their opinions", when they are uncomfortable! - They agreed to attend re-enactments "for love" & returned because they found out that they COULD find things that they LIKED to do.) in such situations is a sack of "fire-starters" made of coiled strips of corrugated cardboard, soaked with paraffin.
(A fist-size "chunk" of this stuff will light SOPPING-WET wood every time, especially with a few pencil-thumb size sticks to get "the bigger stuff" going AND it doesn't impart an "off taste" to the foods that you may later be cooking over the fire, as "charcoal starter" does. Further, it's NOT a fire/explosion safety hazard to anyone.)

fwiw, I made my "homebrew fire-starters" in a tunafish or catfood can, by coiling pre-cut strips of "cardboard box" into the can, filling it with melted paraffin, cooling the fire-starter & then cutting the bottom out of the can & tapping the fire-starter out.

just my opinion, satx

satx78247 said:
(Neither "Duckie" or my, then teenaged adopted, daughter Noemi are "tomboys" and neither are shy about "giving me their opinions", when they are uncomfortable! - , satx

when I saw this I thought "now there's a kid with insight"
http://youtu.be/-a75EBx2CHI

necchi said:
Sorry, I guess it's a generational thing.
Todays dependence on electronic devises for entertainment is a cultural statement I find tragic.
My son was seldom "bored" at any Rendezvous and was exhausted at the end of the day. I usually had to hunt him down along with all the other kids, being social, conversation and playing thing.
It was always about the campfire, smores, frybread, music thing that happens at `vous.
I love your opening sentence. This being posted on a electronic device from a guy who posts on here almost everyday. Your breaking some new ground there Copernicus.
The couple Rondy's that I attended are small and to be honest their were no other kids there. Of course I did stuff with them. Don't judge what I do with my kids. I did not ask for your opinion. I stated a option to keep the kids occupied and happy if they are real young. No one asked you to be a dog soldier.

Haha! You reported it. That's funny. Must have some really thin skin old timer.

We get newbies from time to time with kids... the kids are absolutely certain they will DIE if they have to leave the electronic game or MP3 player at home or in the car for two days (actually, it's like 36 hours).

As the fellow wrote... it's a short period of time before they either find other kids, and get into some sort of activity, or perhaps the event has some tradtional game that looks simple, but actually takes some skill.....

LD

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts!

The better half didn't like the 3 hr setup and takedown, nor were the wolf spiders a hit, but she's already talking about next year - so it seems it was a success. The kids and I had a blast.

Turns out the biggest thing we forgot was dish soap, but a little begging got us enough to get through :grin:.

Glad things worked out for you. It takes a few trips to get things sorted out as to what you do & do not need & you always get ideas from other camps.

I would recommend something like this also.

chuck box/country kitchen/ grub box

ptrlbx1.gif

Good for you man. Learning curve -- it'll go faster next time and the kids need to be coned into thinking working to set up and take down is fun!

Oh, and, Domino's delivers in less than half an hour and you can lie to the motel clerk and say there's only one adult and no children who'll then have MORE fun by sneaking in!

Turns out the biggest thing we forgot was dish soap, but a little begging got us enough to get through

Glad y'all had a good family experience. That trumps all.
Every ronny has, at least one, seller of lye soap. Works great for any chore. And, it prevent poison ivy/oak rash if you wash fairly soon after contact. I prefer it for use after any outdoors activity. Get the real stuff, not canned lye and commercial lard stuff. :nono:

The unpacking/packing between events, and constantly forgetting to pack little items is why I went to a small utility trailer. The only thing that I have to deal with between events is laundry and consumables. The ice box, water jugs, and clothing go in the vehicle. Everything else stays in the trailer between trips.

I recently picked up a small box trailer for that very purpose. it is 4ft x 7 ft and 50 inches high. Plenty of room for the rondy stuff for me and mrs. I planned on keeping the tent, stakes, and other gear in it to eliminate packing and repacking the truck. I got it from a contractor that had a small business doing interior remodel jobs. He sold it to me still half full of tools and materials. Before I got all the nails, screws, and shelves out of it. I saw that ants are getting into the trailer. And not just a little. they have built nests in it since I brought it home. There are no holes big enough for rodents, but ants are almost worse. Don't need an ants nest in my wall tent, etc. How do you keep the bugs out?

I haven't had that problem -- yet.

Possibly because I never have food in the trailer. It all goes in the car.

This is just a suggestion, since I don't know how your trailer is built, but you might try running it through one of those care washes and blasting the interior out with a wand.

I too have never had an ant/other bug problem with my trailer. I never carry or leave food in it & it is pretty tightly built. Ants have to get in by climbing up something so be sure to leave it parked where no branches or tall grass/weeds touch it. If thats the case, some ant spray around the tires & jack stand should help.

Back