• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lion ban

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Bad news for my planned lion hunt in May. Our oh so caring govt just banned importing lion skins from Africa, so there goes my hunt up in smoke.

This is in direct response to video footage of hunters shooting canned lions, some of which are drugged and released just prior to the hunt. So thanks to the unethical jerks who engaged in those hunts and the idiots who provided the opportunity.

I now plan to put my deposit into a Nyala hunt in Zululand and maybe take a few other critters as well, so stay tuned for that. I am in the process of booking with Crusader Safaris. So far they seem to be the best of them. They also have black powder and caps on hand.

Another domino down for the anti's. Too bad. I think there are a number of American's waiting for the Polar Bear hide ban to be lifted in the US. They went on the hunts and killed animals and now the skins are sitting in, I suppose, Canada. Legally taken...can't get their hands on them.

Good luck on the Nyala hunt. That's a cool looking antelope.

Depending on which specific area you go, many more animals are available in Natal/Zululand besides nyala. I hunted for 5 days there and got 5 nice trophies in addition to nyala and passed on several species. Bushbuck, impala, zebra, reedbuck, mountain reedbuck, blesbok, and grey and blue duikers are there. Kudu seem to be almost everywhere in So. Africa and Namibia. In the right terrain, vaal rhebok, and klipspringer are present too.

Yep, it's a banquet of game. I really want a Nyala but also will try for bushpig, duiker, blesbok, springbok, maybe kudu (already have a 57 inch one)

I will then move down to near Port Elizabeth and hunt a 350000 acre concession for black wildebeest, hartebeest, reedbuck, Cape kudu, and waterbuck.

None of the hunting will be behind wire. Some of the animals will be hunted with a bow and some with a muzzleloader ( lyman Gpr .54 cal). All or most hunting will be on foot.

The outfitter I am using loves guiding black powder hunters. He is licensed to buy and possess black powder so I have no transport issues. The company is Crusader Safaris. Have a look if you are interested. His rates are very good considering what he is offering. In the meantime I need to do some walking and practise my shooting!

Dude were you seriously going to hunt open range lion with a muzzle loader ? were you going to use a double rifle ? I would still go but take the minister over as a gun boy .

A Pedersoli double in .72 would serve better then the Lyman .54 and improve your survival rate on foot .

Kapow said:
He is licensed to buy and possess black powder so I have no transport issues. The company is Crusader Safaris. Have a look if you are interested.

From their website:

The powder available is different to that in the US so bringing your own is advisable.

I have read a little about the powder available in South Africa, but obviously have no experience with it. Have you used it before? I don't know what you usually use, but wondering how different this stuff is from the "normal" stuff we use in the U.S. Like Goex, Swiss, KiK, etc. Does is work in Flinters or is it more like a substitute and only good in caplocks?

I would imagine that "bringing your own" is near impossible these days. I don't think one can just put real black powder on an airplane.

The most common black powder available in So. Africa is WANO which is similar to Graf's brand (Schuetzen) here. It is quite expensive over there and is highly restricted according to a resident over there who shoots muzzleloaders frequently.

C'mon over here to Colorado and get you a mountain lion. Not the same thing of course but should make for an adequate adventure! :thumbsup:

That is most definitely on the cards! A mountain lion, elk and whitetail next year maybe. I use Wano brand here as it is about all we can get. It works just fine.

He is in the process of buying me some powder now. It is a pain to get but it can be done. Don't let that hold you back from hunting Africa.

People shoot lion with a bow so a .54 would have no problem in killing one. One well placed shot is the best medicine. And a tree close by.

I will try and do this hunt as a semi live feed if there is any interest?

Now that's funny. :haha: As long as it doesn't actually happen :shocked2:

A live feed of an African hunt would for sure have my full attention :thumbsup:

We are still a bit of the wild west here, so powder and ball will be readily available. At least here in Colorado.

I once had a Tupperware container full of .54 balls in my carry on. I was taken aside by TSA to share a look at the X-ray. When I told them what it was they hailed a supervisor who had me open the container and show it to his line guys whereupon he pointed out that the balls were no more dangerous than fishing sinkers.

I won't do that again :)

Back