• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Link fire steels..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a question for you blacksmiths...
Those oval fire steels that show up from time to time. Are they made from old chain links? I have seen a few and I am curious how they are made..? :hmm:

I think an old file might work good for that since it would have high carbon.

In a word, no. A fire steel has to be of high carbon steel. They are heated and hammer shaped then forge welded together in a lap joint. Recently I read an email from a museum curator who thought they were punched out from thin steel, but all I have seen show the weld joint. I will say, on some, you have to look close. Of course, it is possible that some were punched out, but I have some doubts. Files make very good fire steels. These oval steels were usually quite thin. Somewhere from 3/32", to 1/8", give or take

Old wheelrake teeth work really well---the rod is the right diameter, and they're springy, high carbon steel.

I've also heard about them being punched out, but the originals I've examined have been welded.

Rod

The late great grumpy old blacksmith Mike Ameling made the type of strikers you're talking about, far as I know he made them from high carbon steel and forge welded them.

Yep, I remember Mike's steels. I proudly own a few of his but not the oval link type.
I had one from the Museum of the fur trade and have come accross a couple others as well but didn't see a forge weld on them... :hmm:

LaBonte or Pichou could add more, but if the weld is really good, and well dressed off, the joint can be very hard to detect. However, it would not surprise me to learn that some were punched out. With historical items it is a risk to say never, or always.

I've made them out overhead door spring, files and hay rake tine . I bought a few of Mikes oval ones made from 1095 steel if I recall. They were thin and I kinda like them that way as far as welded these didnt appear to be in my opinion any how. He may have done as Wick stated above I will never claim to be a expert.

A good lapped forge weld can not usually be seen, especially if the part has been well dressed, just look at the old welded barrels, they are virtually seamless - the same method was used for making chain links and on well made old chain you'll never see the weld...
Remember prior to the 1860's steel was difficult and expensive to make in quantity so the methods used (such as steeling axes) were conservative in their use of steel.
As Wick noted it's never good to say "never", but unless there is documentation to the contrary I'd doubt the use of the punching method.
BTW - these were and are called Bright Ovals and the most recent issue of Muzzleloader magazine lists a local to me smith making them....Jerry Rodri 970-385-7670 - I don't know him, but reportedly his work looks good.....

I have "never" seen a weld but

a. real ones mostly come out of the ground, and you can't see much of anything but rust

b. ovals were made by cutlers and tool makers, so the quality/experience would be high.

c. there are some that aren't quite symmetrical, that wouldn't happen if they were stamped out.

They are mostly about 1/8 inch thick. "Bright" is the finish they originally had.

Some later Sheffield cutlery work was pressed out, but I'm still trying to get a handle (pun? :idunno: ) on that.

Just got my new issue of Muzzleloader and read that review of this fellow, Rodri's work. His strikers do look pretty good and I see he is in Durango...
I do like the look of those simple oval strikers.

Back