• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stripping factory finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone got a link to some good information or how to on stripping the factory type finishes on a Investarms or TC stock.

I would like to remove some wood around the tang area and eschutzen area on an investarms and would like to redo a renegade with a more rustic rubbed oil finish.

I have seen many refinishing videos but I am looking for something more specific to the task at hand.

I like CitriStrip spray-on but I have never tried it on a T/C or Investarms stock. Keep us posted on what you use and the results. Thanks for sharing this.
I used CitriStrip with good results on stripping the factory finish from my Pedersolii Brown Bess. Needed about 2-3 coats of stripper but so safe I did to on my dining room table!

I have used critstrip with good results on a TC stock, on my last one I used a cheaper product called Clean Strip which worked just as well but was more corrosive and needed to be used outside. I have found it takes two application of both strippers to get the finish out of every nook and cranny.

The first coat gets just about everything, I scrape the bubbled up finish off with a puddy knife, wash the stock off with a water hose, let it dry for a few hours and apply the second coat. A quick rinse will flush off the stock, the stock will dry quickly but I give it a few days before I apply any finish.

Cleen strip bubbled up;

TC paint strip 1.JPG

Done;

TC paint  stripped.JPG

I have used critstrip with good results on a TC stock, on my last one I used a cheaper product called Clean Strip which worked just as well but was more corrosive and needed to be used outside. I have found it takes two application of both strippers to get the finish out of every nook and cranny.

The first coat gets just about everything, I scrape the bubbled up finish off with a puddy knife, wash the stock off with a water hose, let it dry for a few hours and apply the second coat. A quick rinse will flush off the stock, the stock will dry quickly but I give it a few days before I apply any finish.

Cleen strip bubbled up;

View attachment 251878

Done;

View attachment 251881

Nicely stripped stock @Eric Krewson :thumb:

I've done Pedersoli, TC, and CVA stocks with Citristrip. I've had good results as well.

LD

Cleen strip bubbled up;

View attachment 251878

Done;

View attachment 251881
I really will have to try that stripper when refinishing older factory muzzleloader rifle & pistol stocks that I want to stain differently! Looks like it's simple and does a great job in getting back to bare wood! This is good info! AWESOME! đź‘Śđź‘€

Latest posts

Back