• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Like to identify this Hawken/Plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are some pics of a rifle I bought about 8 yers ago. It is a Hawken style that I have never been able to find any info about the builder. When I shouldered it at a gun show the sights instantly were in focus for me. Tried it several times and it just fit me perfectly, had to buy it. The bore is very good, it is easy loading and accurate for me. I have shot it a lot over the years and it became a favorite. Take it hunting every year and has accounted for a couple deer so far.
IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

Don

The ignition snail looks like a T/C item to me, so maybe Mr. Foreman built it from various parts with T/C barrel as a basis for his build.

IMO, it looks very nice,

Though it looks similar that's not a TC breechplug. A couple full length shots from different angles may give people who know Hawken rifles a bit more to work with.

Like bubba.50 says, some full length photos and some photos from the butt to the lock area would help with the overall architecture identification.

Also, can you count the number of lands/gooves and possibly measure the rate of twist of the rifling? That info can help identify the barrel maker.

From the photos you have posted, I can tell you that it has a Ron Long designed lock. Ron sold his locks fully assembled and as a lock kit for the customer to assemble. It looks like your lock was one of those kits.

79_01 BR Longs Hawken flintlock ad.jpg

I can also tell that the breech and tang is one that Cherry Corners made. Cherry Corners started offering their hook breech in the early 1870's. This ad is from November 1972 Muzzle Blasts magazine.

72_11 MB Cherry Corners hooked breech introduced ad.jpg

By 1974, they were offering a complete Hawken kit. This ad is from September 1974 Muzzle Blasts.
74_09 MB Cherry Corners ad.jpg

As a teaser, Green River Rifle Works used these same components on their rifles from 1974 through most of 1976 when the Cherry Corners parts were no longer available because Cherry Corners sold out to Ithaca Gun Co.

There is a possibility that your rifle was made from GRRW kit. But I need to see more pictures of the whole rifle and info on the number of lands/grooves to be able to tell for sure.

Bob Woodfill is my guess.

I like your sense of humor. Woodfill has been all over Muzzle Blast the past decade.

I suspect this rifle was built in the 1970's or with parts from that decade.

Crockford is correct. The "S. HAWKEN" and "ST. LOUIS" stamps on the OP's rifle were made with individual letter stamps. This is another indication it was done be a custom builder that stocked the rifle. It's not a product of The Hawken Shop.

Barrel is 1" straight , 7 lands and grooves, 32 1/2' to the back of the breech plug. Measured 1/2 rotation of the rifling in 31 1/2' travel some where around 62" rifling pitch, allowing for error it could be 60" - 64".
IMG_3315.jpg
IMG_3322.jpg

Looking at the Hawken shop site - GRRW collector portion, the lock and trigger guard look like a GRRW kit.
Hammer and guard have the wrong shape for Hawken Shop parts. There are 4 screws showing in the lock plate. Tenons are round shape not flat, under rib is screwed on not riveted, nose cap is sheet steel screwed in place, under rib is flat to the barrel not half moon/soldered. Again not characteristics of a Hawken Shop kit, more of a GRRW. Late 70's early 80's sounds about right given the condition of the wood and the steel. This is my shoot the H**L out it and have fun rifle.

Thoughts?

Don

I like your sense of humor. Woodfill has been all over Muzzle Blast the past decade.

I suspect this rifle was built in the 1970's or with parts from that decade.

Crockford is correct. The "S. HAWKEN" and "ST. LOUIS" stamps on the OP's rifle were made with individual letter stamps. This is another indication it was done be a custom builder that stocked the rifle. It's not a product of The Hawken Shop.
I confess I sometimes jest. Seems like Bob Woodfill has done everything. The current anointed one. Not knocking; his work seems very clean.

Latest posts

Back