• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lighten old gunstock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired an estate of muzzlelorders ( 17th to 19th century ). there are a few Schuetzen rifles with beautiful wood. However, it’s quite dark in color. What is the best way to lighten it up so you can see the figure in the wood. If possible, I prefer to preserve the original finish.

Well, I am a bit different. I would use a very mild soap and water to get the stock clean of dirt and grime. I hate putting a stock to my face when it could have been used to put out a dog manure fire.

I agree with leaving the finish alone. It also makes a big difference depending on age or condition. It I had a late 19th century hardware store percussion shotgun in drag from the barn condition I would have at it. A 17th or 18th century piece, I would not touch other than dusting without consulting someone who knows those guns. On the old and rare ones we are just caretakers.

the stock patina on that era gun is part of its story and value. Don't give in to the desire to make them look "new".
post pictures, now that you have teased us!
the stock patina on that era gun is part of its story and value. Don't give in to the desire to make them look "new".
post pictures, now that you have teased us!
Here is an attempt for pictures 1A0CB8DD-AB17-4300-A8DF-2DA8F340A9C6.jpegCEF4B41D-1E4E-491D-BB39-B2141A7281AB.jpeg1376386E-7984-4ECE-9E62-91CF1F6FA6B3.jpeg

Renaissance Wax is what a lot of museums use on old artifacts.
I once asked the National War Museum curators what they used for preserving old firearms , They put me onto Renaissance wax which is a microcrystalline wax . The museum use so much of this wax that they make their own . The wax has the advantage of being non invasive , in that it can be applied to wood and metal without filling the pores as silicone wax would , allowing the wax to be removed easily some time in the future if certain aspects of the article needed repair or close examination and it doesn't change or dry out over time .
They clean off dirt with distilled water and a cotton swab on a stick and occasionally pure alcohol , a bit like art restorers do . It is a bit of an arcane art .

Latest posts

Back