• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Less is More

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read that with .54 and larger caliber rifles one should use FF, but I also read for the Pendersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol .54 to use FFF, so that’s what I’ve been using.

This means I have a supply of 2, 3, & 4F powder on hand, and I fill horns with all three granularities.

Even in this one thread I’m seeing guys who advocate for both FF & FFF for .54 rifles. Seems odd that one barrel might “like” one powder over another, but that’s what people tend to write when I read about this. I figure I’m probably overthinking it, and either would work equally well.

Even in this one thread I’m seeing guys who advocate for both FF & FFF for .54 rifles. Seems odd that one barrel might “like” one powder over another, but that’s what people tend to write when I read about this. I figure I’m probably overthinking it, and either would work equally well.

Maybe some barrels do, I can't say for sure myself. I've worked up a couple good loads with 2F that shoot like I want. But .32 to .62 3F is used most in all the calibers.

I like using a minimal amount of priming powder, covering the bottom third of the pan below the flash hole. I will also pay close attention to the friction surfaces of the lock in order to optimize lock time. While I will on occasion prime with 3F from my horn for a fast follow-up when hunting, I prefer 4F for priming. In my experience, a well tuned flintlock can equal the ignition time of s percussion lock.

Latest posts

Back