• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Length of your season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just curious....how long is your muzzleloading season, how does it compare with your regular firearms season, and does your muzzleloading season fall before or after your regular season? Also, If your state doesn't have a specific muzzleloading or primative season, I'd like to know that also. Thanks in advance.

Michigan's muzzleloading season starts after the regular two weeks rifle season in Nov. THe Upper penninsula starts usually the first Friday after the close of the regular season (usually the first weekend in Dec.) and the lower penninsula starts a week later. It runs for 10 days.

16gauge
Mornin,,
Although the everything license here is $80 for huntin and fishin, I like the fact that you don't need a license if you hunt on your own land,, as it should be, If you have animals or are growin crops you are feedin the deer anyway, And we have WAY to many deer here, I already roped one,,
I am on 60 acres and the niehbor to my North has 11 and the neighbor cross the small rd has 5, and it's all heavy wooded,

Modern Gun
Zones 1- 2
Nov. 12 - 27, 2005
Zones 3- 4
Nov. 12 - 21, 2005

Archery
Statewide
Sept. 3, 2005

Here in NY we have 2 zones; north and south

mldeer.html

I guess I'm lucky because I hunt in both zones (if I have a tag left). The two seasons are vastly different though.

North Carolina's first firearm season starts October 8th with a muzzleloader week, then runs general firearms through January 1st.

I'll hunt Flintlocks every week from October 8th until I fill 4 buck & 2 doe tags, or the sun sets on January 1st.

I don't have the regs at my finger tips, but unless I am horribly mistaken, the Muzzleloading season varies from one weekend to one week - depending on what property you hunt on - in the state of Florida. It is before the season, and you have to buy a $5 Muzzleloading permit to accompany your license and WMA permit. All of the licensing amounts to about $50 if you hunt a management area. For private property, you only pay about half that. If you want exact dates and prices, I will dig up the info and post it later.

Here in Kansas it's Sept. 10-23 this year. Regular rifle season is in December. Needless to say...I'm counting the days til our muzzleloading season. :)

PA seasons....

fall archery season....6 weeks
oct 1st to nov 12th....

winter archery....3 weeks
dec 26th to jan 14th....

bear season....3 days
nov 21st to 23rd....
extended season nov 28th to dec 3rd in
WMU's 3-B, 3-D, 3-C, 4-C, 4-E....

deer season....14 days
nov 28th to dec 10th....

flintlock season....18 days
dec 26th to jan 14th...................bob

Illinois, southern zone:

1st shotgun season is the second weekend in November, Friday Saturday and Sunday. Second shotgun season is the weekend after Thanksgiving, Thursday- Sunday. Muzzleloader season is the weekend after 2nd shotgun, also the first weekend in December. It is a four day season, Thursday- Sunday. Archery deer is October 1st through middle of January. Muzzleloaders are optional for shotgun seasons. Bowhunting is permitted during muzzleloader season with blaze orange requirements.

PA seasons....

fall archery season....6 weeks
oct 1st to nov 12th....

winter archery....3 weeks
dec 26th to jan 14th....

bear season....3 days
nov 21st to 23rd....
extended season nov 28th to dec 3rd in
WMU's 3-B, 3-D, 3-C, 4-C, 4-E....

deer season....14 days
nov 28th to dec 10th....

flintlock season....18 days
dec 26th to jan 14th...................bob

and the early muzzleloader season for inlines and all...
oct 22-28 antlerless only.

another point to mention is that we dont hunt sundays. i know its different than NY, does anyone else hunt the lords day of rest??? :hmm:

Well, someone once told me that the reason that the University of Tennessee chose orange for their team colors is that they wear it to the game on Saturday, go hunting in it on Sunday and then wear it the rest of the week while picking up garbage on the side of the road. LOL!!! :crackup:

All kidding aside, down here in Florida, you can hunt on Sunday. A man's gotta eat! :grey:

".....down here in Florida, you can hunt on Sunday....."

Sure wish we could in North Carolina...at least our Legislature has just approved a bill that authorizes and funds a a formal "Sunday Hunting Study".

It involves a series of citizen focus groups, mail surveys, phone surveys, etc...the findings report is due this time next year.

Bow season- September 15th to January 15th- 4 months but closed during the rifle season.

Youth season-three days the weekend before the rifle season.

Centerfire rifle season- 11 days in November beginning the weekend closest to the 15th.

Muzzleloader season-second weekend after the close of the rifle season/early December- eleven days- bow season open thru out.

Late doe season- In january and usually three days in designated areas- bow season open thru out.

The limits are one buck with a bow before the rifle season and one after. One buck with a gun during the modern or muzzleloader portion. First doe tag is full price but additional doe tags are 5$ each and unlimited. A man with 20 doe tags can kill 20 does if he sees that many. Tags are on sale all season so it is a simple trip to town to get a new tag. Checking by phone this year with no real check of limits, regs compliance, or method of harvest.

One side note. A four points on one side minimum for a buck to be legal was started last season over most of the state in an attempt to create more tourism by raising the quality of the bucks available. Like the phone check system, the whole goal of our Conservation department is saving money or producing tourism income. It has nothing to do with quality game management at all. Quality trophy management maybe to draw out of state hunters.

Here in Idaho the season starts around Sept25 and runs into Dec,depending on sex,unit, and species being hunted.These hunts are broken uo into general muzzleloader and Traditional muzzle loader hunts.The times coincide generally but unit#s are different

Hoyt,

That is the full season, isn't it?

Yep..that's the start of bow season in the south zone to the end of primitive weapons in the northeast zone...primative weapons meaning muzzle loaders and bows.
Far as the early muzzleloader seasons..I just hunt public land and it's hard to find a management area around here that even has a muzzleloader season. The open non quota seasons are about 3 days and Greenswamp and Richloam don't even have a muzzleloader season. Ft. McCoy is where I used to go and it's gone up to about $300 a yr...same for Loclossa..everything else around here is special quota..so if I go I may have to go to Croom for the first day and then travel down to Arbuckle to hunt during the week before modern gun season when it's not quota.
This state makes it hard for the public land hunter..shorter seasons, costly public land and ridiculous special opportunity hunts where 3 or four people hunt 1000,s of acres of land..what a waste.

The quota hunts can be a joke too. There are WMAs that have two hunts a year which last anywhere from 3-7 days. They allow 50 - 75 quotas per hunt. So, you get a total of MAYBE 100 hunters in the woods on thousands of acres for a total of 2 weeks. The only WMAs that I know of that don't do the quota hunt are Osceola and Ocala National Forests. Camp Blanding has 700 quota per day - you have to check in and out (it is an operating military facility - I am used to that as that is how they did it when I hunted Fort Gordon, GA.

Unfortunately, they have me by the short hair. I cannot afford a private club, nor can I afford the Recreational Use permit WMAs, so I have to go where the masses go. Someone once described Camp Blanding's first couple of weeks as sounding like Gettysburg...

I guess I better get a gray Kepi!

Back