• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

left handed shooter - right handed flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about an incident that was hair raising to say the least.

How safe is it for a left handed shooter to shoot right handed flintlocks?

Another question - were firearms manufactured in the 18th century as left handed guns?

I have been shooting right handed flintlocks for years lefthanded, no problems. I actually prefer rh flinters, lock is easy to see when priming and easier to cover in bad weather.

I would not shoot a RH flintlock left handed without safety glasses on at all times. I feel safe shootin a flintlock as long as the lock is on the correct side without glasses. That being said I always wear glasses at the range but not hunting.

"were firearms manufactured in the 18th century as left handed guns?"

Yes, but they are very rare. Being left handed was considered something to overcome until recently. My brother is right handed, but left eye domonate. He shoots guns and bows lefthanded.

Before I got my left hand flinters, I shot for MANY years using right handed guns. You should wear safety glasses and always be aware of where your right hand/arm is when shooting, especially if shooting at an angle from an elevated stand. Don't ask.... Emery

People have shot RHed guns off their Left shoulders for centuries. However, it is safer for the shooter if the gun has the flashhole on the opposite of the gun, for safety. There are double barrel flintlocks rifles and smoothbores made back then, and now, and of course, for both Right and Left handed shooters, you have at least one barrel where the vent is closer to your face, and heading in the wrong direction!

As long as the gun is of good quality materials, and well made, you need only wear safety glasses for protection from the unusual event that something comes back towards your face.

You are more likely to have debris come at you and your forearm from shooting a percussion gun, either sidehammer, mule ear, or underhammer, than from shooting a flintlock. Wear a long sleeve shirt when shooting, when you can. I have the scars from stabs of percussion caps on my forearms to prove the wisdom of this advice.

I'm a leftie, and just converted my right handed longrifle to flint after some thought, When I finaly got to shoot it I could raely not tell any differance with the flint lock on the wrong side.If any thing it's nicer to shoot because as a capper it was bad about stickin' cap pieces into my forearm. I don't have that problem any more, also as was stated on an earlier post, If you notice the flash your not watchin' the target :wink:

I don't care what side the lock is on, all the same to me. However, if you shoot a Percussion OR a Flintlock without glasses, you are taking one H of a chance with your eyes. You should see my glasses after about 2 years of shooting. You would not believe the burns in the lenses. Also MANY times have been hit in the face or arm by debris & was very thankful I have glasses on.

I won't even dry fire a flintlock without glasses on, just a chance I don't want to take...... And I will not let anyone dry fire one of my flintlocks without sglasses on. :shake:

Because I have to use my left eye for shooting I have been a lefty ever since my first Red Ryder BB gun. For that reason I have never gotten into flint lock rifles.
At a muzzleloader/buckskinner club that I used top belong to, a guy shot a flintlock rifle left handed and caught his beard on fire.

Hey Guys,

Shooting a flintlock rifle with the off hand is no different than anybody, right handed or left handed, shooting a double barreled flint shotgun. Of course, certain safety percautions are always a good idea no matter what you are shooting. Even a piece of a cap from a percussion rifle can come back and hit you in the eye.

Randy Hedden

the best shooter i know shoots a right-hand rifle left-handed. that being said, there is more than the side a lock is on that makes right and left rifles different. cast off and cheekpiece mainly. as a lefty in a right-handed world i really enjoy not compensating and having a rifle that fits "like a glove".

take care, daniel

Sounds like there are a lot of us lefties on here. Like some of the others have said, I have less trouble shooting a right handed flinter than I do a percussion. It's a really good idea to have a flash cup or guard regardless.

Storm

Latest posts

Back