• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee REAL bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the twist rate of your barrel.

If you have a 1:66 twist, you're better off putting the REAL bullet in your pocket and throwing your rifle at the target.

That way you'll actually hit something.

I tumble coat mine with 45-45-10 lube.

If you have a 1:66 twist, you're better off putting the REAL bullet in your pocket and throwing your rifle at the target.

Mine is 1:48
I have cast some REAL and some Lyman Ideal to try out.
Thanks

I've pan lubed mine thinking the grooves need filled; how does tumble lubing preform ?

I use the the Lee REAL bullet in several of my .54's. Two have 1 in 66" twist (Pedersoli RMH and Frontier) the other has 1 in 48" (Investarms Hawken). In my guns, the REAL bullets shoot very well, indistinguishable performance between those and roundballs, including group size and POI. I use the shorter and lighter of the two .54 bullet options available, and I pan lube with some beeswax concoction that I made a bunch of several years ago. I shoot relatively light powder charges, 60 grains 3f or sub equivalent, and the bullets work very well on deer and a couple of bears over the years.

I've pan lubed mine thinking the grooves need filled; how does tumble lubing preform ?
45-45-10 is the greatest lube invention ever.

All of cast Unmen bullets get tumbled in it.

A little goes a long way.

Dries fast and not sticky.

No lead smear either.

REAL bullets of each caliber i have, .45/.50/.54 all shoot accurately with lower loads. Once i get to 75 gr in my .45 it's group is opening more than i want on target. Same happens with the .50/.54 but its up at 85 gr. Plenty of slobber knocking power out to a 100 yds. Thats my max shooting range with my eye sight.

I tried them in 50 and 54 a long while back. I was thrilled with the beautiful cloverl6 🍀 groups at 50 yards but those turned into 18 inch 100 yard groups.

Have shot them in a .54 Renegade and .50 Hawken with good results. I shot tumble-lubed in Lee Alox, bare over a home-made lubed (50/50 bees wax/Crisco) Durafelt wad, and tumble lubed over wad. All shot great, easily meeting hunting bullet requirements for me.

I found the rough Renegade in my closet after long since forgetting about it or where I got it. Somebody had D&T it for a scope and it was none to pretty otherwise. I figured it was a perfect candidate for a beater hunting rifle, or maybe a loaner if it shot well. I was pleased with the result of the REALs over Pyrodex RS.

I picked up the Hawken, a rough “kit” gun, inexpensively at a gun show last year mostly just for the parts. After my positive results with the .54 Renegade and REALs I tried similar loads in the .50 Hawken with similar positive results. I am a fan of them REALs and my home made wads and the tumble-lubing certainly did not hurt anything and is easy enough to do.

I cast .54 R.E.A.L. heavy bullets. If I am shooting at the range, I bring some wax paper, bore butter, and roll the bullets in the bore butter on wax paper before setting them in the barrel. If not shooting at the range (hunting), I just squeeze out some BB and shove it down. The only gun I use them in is a fast twist Pedersoli Jager. I found the accuracy was not the greatest if I used them in my other long twist barrel guns.

Johnson paste wax is now so ridiculously expensive though. Can you suggest an alternate?
I use auto paste wax.

Can't comment on price now.

Bought it many moons ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 0

64Springer, would you mind giving the ingredients of your 45-45-10 lube?
Thanks.

64Springer, would you mind giving the ingredients of your 45-45-10 lube?
Thanks.
There are several online.

But it boils down to 45% Lee Liquid ALOX, 45% Johnson's Paste Wax and 10% Odorless Mineral Spirits.

Some folks say it won't settle out. But mine does. I just give it a shake every now and then.

It's kept in an old DAWN bottle and I dunk it hot water when I need to.

A LITTLE BIT goes a long way. A 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon is enough to tumble 300 .45 Colt bullets. You don't want the bullets drenched. Just a light sheen. Dries in hour or two. The best part is that it's not sticky.

Good luck.

Last edited:
There are several online.

But it boils down to 45% Lee ALOX, 45% Wax and 10% Mineral Spirits.

Some folks say it won't settle out. But mine does. I just give it a shake every now and then.

It's kept in an old DAWN bottle and I dunk it hot water when I need to.

A LITTLE BIT goes a long way. A 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon is enough to tumble 300 .45 Colt bullets. You don't want the bullets drenched. Just a light sheen. Dries in hour or two.

Good luck.
Thank you very much!

Back