• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee,Lyman,or RCBS which mold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttbush

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Getting back into casting my own .50 cal. roundballs.
Things seem to have changed since last I purchased molds. I would like to hear some opinions about recommendations on a better quality RB mold, a single or double would be fine. Thanks in advance.

I like the Lees myself. They cast fine, heat up quick and no sprue to fuss with and come with handles. The others are good too but more expensive. Lees may be made cheaper but as long as you take care of them, they should last a lifetime.

I use lee, I buy both sizes 5 and 10 under bore size that way I always will have a patch combo to fit. Two moulds 45 bucks that's half of the price of the other two and do the same job. My center fire is all lyman or rcbs they are better moulds.

I have some of each. They all work fine. Lees in aluminum heat faster (& will drop below casting temp faster if not kept on the pot lip) and are cheaper. Steel is more durable but just how much casting do any of us do? I always like to get a sample lot of likely sizes from Eddie Mays before spending on a mold & later wishing that I had gone up or down a size.

Steel moulds are best in my opinion, brass are good also. For the money aluminum are hard to beat because they are more than half the price of steel.
They all cast well.
Nit Wit

Successful casting is more about the quality of the metal you're using and your technique than which mold you choose.
Lee molds are both less expensive, and most definitely "cheaper". That said, I get great results from my Lee molds. I also get great results from Lyman, RCBS, and even some old Ideal mold blocks :thumbsup: I inherited from my father (early 1950's vintage).
Make sure you have clean metal to begin with then work on developing a consistent technique.

I have experience with all those brands, but only with Lee and Lyman for casting round balls. If I had to pick one for you to buy I would go with the Lee, for reasons others have stated. Some users say double cavity moulds will cast balls of slightly different caliber. I never measured mine, but I usually use only one cavity anyway when casting. :2

Mooman76 said:
I like the Lees myself. They cast fine, heat up quick and no sprue to fuss with and come with handles. The others are good too but more expensive. Lees may be made cheaper but as long as you take care of them, they should last a lifetime.

I recently started casting myself and while I don't have any experience with RCBS or Lyman molds, I bought a Lee for all these reasons and really like it. Bought one for their REAL bullet as well.

If your "Getting back into" then you already know the drill.
About the only changes is Lee currently only makes double ball molds and the cost of steel molds is sky high.
The Lee work just fine and many prefer them because they cut the sprue much closer to the ball then Lyman or other steel.
I've found the Lee work much better/easier with some common automotive anti-seize lube added to the blocks guide pins and of course the hinge points.

My preference is Lyman steel because they hold the temperatures more consistently. However, that said, :redface: I usually end up buying Lee because of the cost factor. Once you develop a working rhythm the staying hot issue becomes a non-issue.

Due to the cost factor, all I ever use are Lee molds. No complaints.

I will say the Lyman dipper is fantastic.

I usually use Lee except in .75 cal. Lee sprues are cut off closer and an hour or two in a rotary tumbler and they look like swaged.

I have a bunch of Lee molds and some customs...but all are aluminum.

I am very fond of Lee 6-cavity molds, but the 2-cavity molds leave a lot to be desired.

I have Lee double-cavity molds. I like them fine. I found that Lee makes some odd sizes priced the same, so when I bought a rifle for a kid that was a .44..., I also found a Lee mold that will cast a .433 ball. I figure that and a thin patch plus a wad on top of the powder will work, or..., maybe try a .429 conical. Lee also makes a single .690 mold, and with a paper cartridge this works fine in my .75

I have a few old, steel molds. They are great but I'm looking at probably a C-note or more to replace them if they ever get damaged or lost.

I have a few Rapine scissor molds, for casting demonstrations, and they leave a very visible sprue plus are pretty hot to work with.

LD

I have a few Rapine scissor molds, for casting demonstrations, and they leave a very visible sprue plus are pretty hot to work with.

Just dunk in water like ole Dan'l Boone did in that History Channel series. :shocked2: :rotf:

Seriously, for those who don't know, dunking a hot mould with a just cast ball into water is a big NO-NO. :nono: Don't do it. :shake:

Rifleman1776 said:
Just dunk in water like ole Dan'l Boone did in that History Channel series. :shocked2: :rotf:

Seriously, for those who don't know, dunking a hot mould with a just cast ball into water is a big NO-NO. :nono: Don't do it. :shake:

Been there, done that.
Not that I knew any better at the time. :confused:

A friend and I were trying to cast some round balls with all steel mold, it got too hot to hold.

Anyhow it made my eyes sparkle. Not fun watching the doctor digging things out of your eyes. :shocked2:

So that is how I learned how to become un-leaded the first time.

:2
William Alexander

Latest posts

Back