• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee .570 lead ball mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering this message on their home page, they probably won't be open to new product suggestions for a while. :)

Since the onset of the pandemic, Lee Precision's order volume has precipitously increased. Each month that has passed, our inventory has become more and more depleted. We have increased staff, working overtime and purchased additional equipment. Most of our office staff is helping assemble and ship our products. We presently have a 119-day backlog of orders placed by our distributors. These orders are being filled in the order they were received. The backlog of orders has stabilized, and we are nibbling away at the deficit.

Same here for my CVA mountain rifle in .58.
The CVA manual recommends a .562" ball for the Big Bore Mountain Rifle. I found an un-opened Bib Bore Mountain Rifle kit for sale a while back and sent it to a gunsmith for assembly. He measured the bore at .575", so it is slightly undersized, and not a "true" .58.

I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet. I'm looking forward to the opportunity.

Notchy Bob

You would have to ask Lee. I always wondered why their 50 cal minie moulds are .500 instead of slightly under like their larger calibers. I had to drive the conicals down the bore so I figured might as well be a maxie.

Already sent Lee msg.
This thread is admittedly more a rant than a real question.
Still, it boggles the mind when a company like Lee ignores good common sense and market demand, IMHO.
I could have sworn I had a Lee mold in .570, did they quit making them? I may have sold mine to someone here on the Forum, or it may be still lurking in a box somewheres.

I wonder if the Big Bore was intentionally sized at .575 to make it minie friendly. The .562 recommendation suggests they built them all at .575.

I shoot a .575 ball in a .018 patch from a Hoyt re-bore with good results.

I wonder if the Big Bore was intentionally sized at .575 to make it minie friendly. The .562 recommendation suggests they built them all at .575.

I shoot a .575 ball in a .018 patch from a Hoyt re-bore with good results.
With a1in 72" twist mine won't stabilize minies with any powder load that I was interested in using.

Back