• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

leaving my gun loaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last fall I volunteered to do some work on my brothers flinter. His lock timing was a little off and needed a trigger job. When he dropped the gun off he said that it was still loaded from the previous winter season (about 8 months earlier) but loaded on a clean barrel. I kind of chuckled to myself as I took the gun outback that afternoon and primed the pan. To my surprise the gun went right off like it was loaded that morning. I cleaned the gun and inspected the bore and it was in fine shape. Is it a good practice? I wouldn't say so, but it won't rust the barrel if it hasn't been fired yet and kept away from moisture.

I inherited a flintlock pistol that was from the war from 1812 area. My dad kept in a case display until he gave it to me in the mid 2000’s. I put it in the safe for safe keeping and from time to time I look at it. The flint was long gone but the gun it looks it could fire. The ramrod is long gone. One day I used a T/C ramrod to see if it had a charge and guess what? It seems to have been charged in the past and it seems to have a ball in the barrel. I should get the ball and dump out of the powder and someday I will. The moral is always treat a firearm as it is loaded.

I've seen two people buy used muzzleloaders that were left loaded by dummies.

No problem keeping a muzzle loader charged. Back in the day folks kept their shooters loaded 24/7. Never knew when you would meet a predatory critter or a hostile human. Firearms have been know to fire after being loaded over 100 years. All depends on storage conditions as has been posted on this subject. In B.C. Canada a muzzle loader is not considered loaded unless charged and has prime in the pan or a cap on the nipple. If no prime or nipple the firearm is deemed to be unloaded.

Back