• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaving a loaded powder horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not had any trouble with leaving powder in a flask or horn providing it is a working flask but those in a flask display they are all empty .
Feltwad
100_3974.JPG

Is it safe to leave your powder horn loaded and hanging on your wall? It’s pyrotechnics if that matters.

Do you have a lawnmower? Do you store gas for it? If so I bet your gas can isn't empty

Blackpowder = 3MJ/kg
Gasoline =47.5MJ/kg

Gas packs ~16 times the energy BP has.

I have a shop with eight reserve 5 gal containers full of diesel in it and I'm not worried in the least.

In my pitiful little garage that doubles as my shop.

There is an SUV with a 18 gallon fuel tank
Propane tank for the gas grill
2 gallon gas can for the lawnmower
Lawnmower with 1/2 gallon gas tank
2 gallon 32-1 gas can for chainsaw and small snowblower
5 gallons of kerosene for the kerosene heater used in the winter
The kerosene heater holds a gallon
MAPP gas
Acetylene and oxygen tanks
Probably 25-30lbs of different smokeless powders
Various paint, thinners etc.

Oh did I mention some BP that I am really not too worried about.

Many moons ago I got to witness the OP's concerns live and in person. An unattended fire in a tipi got out of the pit, burned through the grass and set the liner and cover on fire. We managed to tear the cover off to knock it down and keep it from spreading, but the canvas was a total loss. Once the fire was out, we noticed two cased rifles and two powder horns hanging from the liner rope. I doubt we would have been so bold getting the cover down had we known there was over a pound of powder dangling just inside the burning canvas.

I've had a tipi for the last 35 years. I never leave the fire unattended. I usually take a few extra pounds of powder to rendezvous, and sleep next to it just fine. It makes a great blanket prize or trading stock. I keep my horns filled too, even at home. My main powder stash is in a separate shed well away from the house though.

Do you have a lawnmower? Do you store gas for it? If so I bet your gas can isn't empty

Blackpowder = 3MJ/kg
Gasoline =47.5MJ/kg

Gas packs ~16 times the energy BP has.

I have a shop with eight reserve 5 gal containers full of diesel in it and I'm not worried in the least.
When I gave community presentations, I’d ask folks where they thought the worst hazardous material location was in town. After the usual suspects, such as a local factory, I then asked how many had garages and/or sheds that they kept gas, oil, pool supplies, etc. in. I then explained that every place they had previously mentioned has paperwork showing what they had, and in what quantities. I also pointed out that the businesses kept various chemicals segregated, unlike the corner of the average shed. Usually saw more than a few wide eyes afterwards. 💥

Is it safe to leave your powder horn loaded and hanging on your wall? It’s pyrotechnics if that matters.
I don't. In fact had a friend visitor who wondered if there was powder in them. If there was a house fire or something, that's one more thing to ignite. I have couple lbs. in a separate shed. (Also have several fire extinguishers handy in the house!)

When I gave community presentations, I’d ask folks where they thought the worst hazardous material location was in town. After the usual suspects, such as a local factory, I then asked how many had garages and/or sheds that they kept gas, oil, pool supplies, etc. in. I then explained that every place they had previously mentioned has paperwork showing what they had, and in what quantities. I also pointed out that the businesses kept various chemicals segregated, unlike the corner of the average shed. Usually saw more than a few wide eyes afterwards. 💥
Yes, the lawn mower can is ubiqitous (sp.?). I have it in my garage, also.

In my pitiful little garage that doubles as my shop.

There is an SUV with a 18 gallon fuel tank
Propane tank for the gas grill
2 gallon gas can for the lawnmower
Lawnmower with 1/2 gallon gas tank
2 gallon 32-1 gas can for chainsaw and small snowblower
5 gallons of kerosene for the kerosene heater used in the winter
The kerosene heater holds a gallon
MAPP gas
Acetylene and oxygen tanks
Probably 25-30lbs of different smokeless powders
Various paint, thinners etc.

Oh did I mention some BP that I am really not too worried about.
Greta Thunberg weeps.

Loaded horns don't go off like grenades. The horn will fail and split as the powder ignites. If something is setting the horn afire, you have bigger issues in the home anyway.

Okey dokey....

You do what you want and if your house is burning down by the time the full horn gets hot enough to explode it will likely not make the bad situation any worse, but it could. If you choose to hang a full horn for decoration of living spaces that's fine, we're adults here capable of making our own decisions, but at least don't make that decision IN IGNORANCE.

Last edited:
Also, diesel fuel in a can doesn't explode in a fire, it just burns like heck Gasoline can explode, and yes it has more energy per gram than black powder, but you really need to look up the explosion velocity of the two and compare that because that is what causes damage. There's a reason dynamite and C4 were invented rather than still using black powder as the main explosive in bombs, shells, and demolition operations, and why gasoline was only used as an ingredient in napalm.

Also, diesel fuel in a can doesn't explode in a fire…
Depends on the container. It sure “can”. ANY confined liquid, even water in an enclosed container can experience what’s known as a BLEVE. Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. Typically you most hear about one when a propane tank of some kind cooks off,

Okey dokey....

You do what you want and if your house is burning down by the time the full horn gets hot enough to explode it will likely not make the bad situation any worse, but it could. If you choose to hang a full horn for decoration of living spaces that's fine, we're adults here capable of making our own decisions, but at least don't make that decision IN IGNORANCE.

It still didn't explode like a bomb. More like a rocket. Hell, it barely disturbed the leaves on the ground.

Back