• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

leather source?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinStar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wondering where some of you gents get leather for making sheaths and bags. I am not interested in a bag at this time but mostly making a sheath for the three knives I made that I posted pics of. I don't need a whole side or a big chunk. I see that Springfield Leather will sell by the square foot and that might be my best route.
Also what type of sheath would you suggest and how did the NA and traders about the time of the F&I War carry their knives?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

I was going to start buying my hides from RJF or Wickett & Craig until Tandy had their premium tooling leather on sale for less than the regular price of the regular stuff. So I bought four double shoulders. They have a really good sale going on right now on Craftsman Oak double shoulders. It might be more than you are looking for but the price can't be beat.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com.../tooling-shoulders-bends-bellies/9052-32.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
CraigC said:
I was going to start buying my hides from RJF or Wickett & Craig until Tandy had their premium tooling leather on sale for less than the regular price of the regular stuff. So I bought four double shoulders. They have a really good sale going on right now on Craftsman Oak double shoulders. It might be more than you are looking for but the price can't be beat.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com...-shoulders-bends-bellies/9052-32.aspx[/quote]

Dang, I missed that! I thank you for the pointer, even if my bank account doesn't. :grin: The 8-9 oz leather is awfully heavy for some uses, but I like it for making boxes and assorted rigid cases.

I just ordered two sides of oil tanned from The Leather Guy, with prices about half of Tandy's regular price. Can't beat that either.

It pays to shop around TinStar, but you kinda need to know what you're looking for in terms of weight and temper. Nice thing about The Leather Guy, he's got some smaller pieces here and there on his site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Tandy, but they are only 30/40 minutes away, and I can hand pick. I've never gotten bad leather from them, but some of it is better than others when you dig through the pile.

Good point, Wick.

I prefer to stop by the Tandy store in Anchorage to shuffle through the piles. The nice thing about doing that though, I've gotten to know the nice folks there and they know what I like, too. With that relationship established, I can pick up the phone when I can't get to Anchorage and ask them to shuffle piles for me. They're more than happy to provide the extra service, and I've never been disappointed with a phone order.

I live over 2hrs away so I typically have to roll the dice with an online order. I haven't gotten a bad hide from them but I have gotten a good hide with a couple bad spots I couldn't use. That said, the premium hides are a bit nicer, more consistent, better finished on the flesh side and more uniform in shape/size. If you see them on sale, get some.

BTW TinStar:

Wherever you buy leather, refer to this page at the Tandy site for reference. It will help you a lot. I don't see the term "temper" on the page, but it refers to the hardness or stiffness of the leather.

What do you gents think about the second part of the question concerning type and how they were carried?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Wick is my favorite source for answering such questions. LaBonte is right there too, but I haven't seen him on the boards lately. Hopefully he's alright and will respond.

IMHO, Alex Kozlov's book is the best reference for making knife sheaths. Although these are styles used by plains Indians and might not be what you're looking for.

Chuck Burrows (LaBonte) also has an excellent DVD set on making sheaths.

Wickett & Craig I like for English Bridle leather.
Weaver for everything else.I have purchase chap leather from Springfield and was help with it and service.

I bought a used leather purse last week that I plan to use for a .50 cal ball pouch. Hope it works out OK.

I met a guy at the thrift store today who owns his own leather craft and supply store here in SE VA. Says he is the main leather supplier in the area unless I want to drive to Tandy in Richmond. Is it OK with the MLF rules to give him a plug here?

Back