• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vintage leather shot bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked at mine many times even under a glass and I'm leaning to a silk thread on those flasks.
That could be, on the ones I have the thread is very fine and must be pretty strong because it is still holding shot after all of the years, there is also very little leather from the thread to the finished edge which indicates that the edge was finished after it was sewn.

I'd avoid glue, as well. That could adversely affect it's collectable value, too. Just clean it and add a bit of natural oil (Prime Neaysfoot or Lanolin).
Some of the best dressing for antique leather I have ever found is Blackrock Leather N Rich, I do not know if it is still available but I bought a bunch of it after I discovered how well it worked.

That could be, on the ones I have the thread is very fine and must be pretty strong because it is still holding shot after all of the years, there is also very little leather from the thread to the finished edge which indicates that the edge was finished after it was sewn.
Under a glass, the tread has a sheen-like polyester, the only natural thread I know of like that is silk. The seam is a butt joint that has been burnished after sewing. Actually, if I were to try and make one from scratch I think a French seam would be stronger

English and Irish powder and shot flasks
Feltwad
100_3972.JPG
100_3974.JPG

Yes you are correct there are a couple of copper flask for powder and two leather ones for shot the rest are English by Dixon. Hawksley. Frith and other Sheffield makers. Horn was also favoured by Continental makers see image
Feltwad
100_4404.JPG

Yes you are correct there are a couple of copper flask for powder and two leather ones for shot the rest are English by Dixon. Hawksley. Frith and other Sheffield makers. Horn was also favoured by Continental makers see image
Feltwad
View attachment 256316

How can I see that a horn or copper flask was made for shot?

I thought that horn and copper flasks have been used mostly for powder because shot will rattle in flasks made of these materials ????

Until now I just saw leather bags in combination with Boche a Paris patent chargers for the use with shot

I never saw a shot horn (green) with the irish charger before. Seems to be rather unusual

And a horn with a Weatherwax patent top (red) is also not very common 20230929_153757.jpg

absolutely fascinating

Last edited:
Enclosed is a image of a shot flask that resembles yours which is part of a cased accessor's which I think is of American manufacture.
Feltwad
View attachment 256463

These horns/flasks with the knuckle joint charger seem to be rather old? 18th century?
I did see them rather seldom in the net.

Attachments

• 256388-100-4404-1.jpg
    256388-100-4404-1.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 0
Back