• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vintage leather shot bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3008.jpeg
IMG_3007.jpeg
IMG_3005.jpeg
IMG_3006.jpeg

I picked this up at an antique store a couple of days ago. Do I try to restore it or use the spout to make a new one? The leather around the spout area is somewhat brittle and the stitching on the bag is shot. It was machine sewn. Suggestions?

It throws 1 and 1 1/4 ounces.

The maker is AM. Flask & Cap I believe. The F is stamped pretty light.

If it were mine I would probably soak it in neatsfoot oil (from tractor supply) and see how the leather improves. If it softens up and the risk of cracking isn't too great I would probably stitch it up with some artificial sinew. Unless I had some real sinew. Or, like Dutch said, would make a great display piece.

Very interesting shot flask with an english type charger. Probably antique. Too bad the seam is open. A damage one can often see.

The big question for me is, how to repaire it? In my opinion a repair should be attempted, although such shot flasks do not have a very high market value.

For display you could try to glue the seam.

I'm rather curious to see what the experts suggest on how to sew the seam.

The spout looks cool, as does the leather, but you can't use it in its current condition.
Can you replicate the leather pouch, or make a new pouch, and reuse the spout?
If not, the leather looks pretty old, so I'm not sure if it can be reconditioned.
It's a neat piece, but not especially historic, unless it's tied to someone famous.
So, the question is:
Do you want to use it (or use the spout), or do you want to display it?
You can't lose either way... :thumb:

Henry Krank in England has a Pedersoli shot pouch top in his shop. Pedersoli English Shot Flask Top
I saw such a top also at Dixie Gun Works (english style shot pouch charger only) as well as an English Leather moulded shot pouch from Pedersoli.
New remakes of shot flasks are also availible from manufactures in India.

Your shot pouch is very similar to the No. 1458 in Rilings book "The Powder Flask Book "

If this pouch would be mine I would try to repaire it for display

Last edited:
Andy52, thanks for the photo of yours. I’m inclined to preserve it. You are correct on the stitching being very fine. It would be hard to do by hand. I initially bought it to see if I could use it as is but the stitches were too far gone. It was much cheaper than just buying a spout from TOW or Dixie. Oh the dilemma.

I also got 2 shot pouches. One is antique and one is a reproduction.

20230804_135514.jpg

It´s not easy to distinguish between an antique pouch and a new reproduction.

In the case of the two shot flasks shown above, the distinction is relatively easy, because the right one, new bottle has embossed the motif of the Remington powder flask: A lying dog on leaves.
But what are the characteristics to recognize a reproduction?
In my opinion, the new screws are a first indicatior.

20230804_135558.jpg

the stitches at the seam are different. Machine sewn are both, but the stitches are tighter.

20230804_135624.jpg

The spout is also a little different (do not look at the spring. It has been replaced)

Last edited:
View attachment 241933View attachment 241934View attachment 241935View attachment 241936
I picked this up at an antique store a couple of days ago. Do I try to restore it or use the spout to make a new one? The leather around the spout area is somewhat brittle and the stitching on the bag is shot. It was machine sewn. Suggestions?

It throws 1 and 1 1/4 ounces.

The maker is AM. Flask & Cap I believe. The F is stamped pretty light.
I believe I would display it. It's like an older woman that has a beauty that comes from age. If that
makes any sense.
Gunny

Please do not use sinew to sew this, in fact the skill to sew this with linen thread will be beyond the casual craftsman. Put some glue on it and use it for display or take it to someone with at least a cobblers/shoe repair level of expertise or you just trashed an artifact.
I'm a bit more than a casual craftsman when it comes to leather work and I don't think I'd attempt a repair on one.

That's a very nice flask. I think it seems to be in good enough shape to revive for display.I recall seeing the brass mechanism advertised - somewhere but can;t say where. Sorry.

If you decide to soften/revive the leather(I would), and use neatsfoot oil, make sure it is "Prime (pure) Neatsfoot oil, not "Neatsfoot Compound". The latter seems to have additives which are not ideal for leather long-term. An alternate which I've had good luck with, bringing dry, stiff leather back, is "Howard Leather Conditioner".

Please do not use sinew to sew this, in fact the skill to sew this with linen thread will be beyond the casual craftsman. Put some glue on it and use it for display or take it to someone with at least a cobblers/shoe repair level of expertise or you just trashed an artifact.
I'd avoid glue, as well. That could adversely affect it's collectable value, too. Just clean it and add a bit of natural oil (Prime Neaysfoot or Lanolin).

Back