• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, at the risk of drawing some ire from traditionlists who have their favorite leather suppliers or who braintan a whole deer hide themselves, I am coming from a paper shooter's point of veiw (I don't harvest my own hides to tan) where we only need a small amount of leather once in awhile. I am trying to teach myself to make bags, knives and sheaths. If I go to Tandy, they measure my legs and arms to see how much of them I would have to give up to get some reasonable pieces.

A Hobby Lobby store just opened near us and they have a reasonable sized section of leather oriented materials. What was really good (from my point of view) was a 3 pound bag of leather pieces for $5.99. At Tandy, that would be $20-30 and be all small pieces. This HL bag has plenty of pieces of good sized leather to make me some sheaths.

Please don't blow my discovery away by telling me there are hundreds of places out there to get a better deal.

:rotf: :idunno: :grin:

As strange as this may be, I find good leather at the Goodwill store and at yard sales. If you only need a small amount then look at used ladies purses and old cowboy boots and Wellington style boots. With a few cuts and a little sewing, a boot top becomes a knife sheath.

Crazy Crow Trading Post.
Tandy will ask for a pint of blood for a deposit and then take yer first born male child upon delivery. There are a lot of sources out there. Somes cheaper than ya think.

Back