• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leading in barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
803F2D58-89E2-4E20-BF78-4C43734DC7FF.jpeg
I
E3D2D1CC-AC16-43C9-83E3-379FE3875B5F.jpeg

Lyman GPR in .54
I can’t tell what this marking is in my barrel. I’ve never dealt with leading before, but a piece of Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth on a brush, as well as 0000 steel wool won’t take it off. From what I can tell with a flashlight, it appears to only be in the first 2-3 inches. I keep it oiled up good after cleaning, so it seems bizarre that it would be any kind of pitting. I can’t tell if there’s any color to it, the best way I can describe it is that it looks like frosting (like on a bearing).

Let the area soak in Kroil for a day or so and it should come out

View attachment 112302IView attachment 112303
Lyman GPR in .54
I can’t tell what this marking is in my barrel. I’ve never dealt with leading before, but a piece of Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth on a brush, as well as 0000 steel wool won’t take it off. From what I can tell with a flashlight, it appears to only be in the first 2-3 inches. I keep it oiled up good after cleaning, so it seems bizarre that it would be any kind of pitting. I can’t tell if there’s any color to it, the best way I can describe it is that it looks like frosting (like on a bearing).
Almost got it ,take a well oiled patch and run it down and back out then: 1 cut a patch the same size with (4) oooo steel wool and place over the oiled patch and then start that down (need a short starter for sure) ! If you find it starts easy use a bigger patch and it will take out anything in the barrel (everytime) . Look up Lee Shavers bore polishing for more details /Ed

Almost got it ,take a well oiled patch and run it down and back out then: 1 cut a patch the same size with (4) oooo steel wool and place over the oiled patch and then start that down (need a short starter for sure) ! If you find it starts easy use a bigger patch and it will take out anything in the barrel (everytime) . Look up Lee Shavers bore polishing for more details /Ed
I didn’t use a patch, but I already used a tight combo of 0000 on a brush already. Maybe I’ll let it soak with kroil or Ed’s red, and try the 0000 again

The only reason I don’t think it’s the rod is that the rod is painted/anodized black. And shows barely any sign of the black wearing off. It’s a TC rod I bought 20 years ago. I’ll have to check if Track sells universal bore guides
Just go to your local plumbing or hardware store and find an appropriate tapered brass fitting that slides over the rod.

Back