• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead supply

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lead-sheathed phone cable scrap yielded 21 pounds:
020.JPG
A pain to separate from the wires inside but the result is dead soft. The source was underground work due to street improvements. Keep an eye out...

Friend of mine just made .490 balls from dental shielding lead. He tried using them and had to hammer them to start into the bore. Had the patching he normally used. They were armor piercing hard , too hard to take the bite of the lands through the patch. Could remelt and make fishing sinkers or Ctg. pistol slugs w/ them ... Taught him the finger nail test to check lead for proper softness......

Friend of mine just made .490 balls from dental shielding lead. He tried using them and had to hammer them to start into the bore. Had the patching he normally used. They were armor piercing hard , too hard to take the bite of the lands through the patch. Could remelt and make fishing sinkers or Ctg. pistol slugs w/ them ... Taught him the finger nail test to check lead for proper softness......
I always thought dental shielding was fairly soft lead.

Eutycus........Man....I don't know what metal was mixed w/his dental lead , he made his .490's from. The last time I made a mistake like that I was working on spectro analysis machines in a Pgh. , Pa. lab. The analytical technician there gave some samples of pure antimony. Knowing the pistol bullets I was playing w/then were too soft , I cast some new ones mixed w/ the antimony. Thought I'd give my dad chance to fire the first shot of my new and improved hollow point slugs. At about 10 feet , He shot @ a hard cherry log butt. Good thing he was wearing a new solid , cast metal NRA belt buckle , as the hard slug bounced off the wood , then bounced off his belt buckle. I picked up the spent slug. It was so hard it looked like it could be reused , zero deformation.
Anyway , I told my .490 casting friend to give the hard balls to his grand kids for sling shot ammo.....oldwood

Oldwood, your reminder about x-ray lead was timely to say the least. I've been melting down my scrap lead and was going to include this three-pound slug given to me:
002.JPG
I recalled the donor saying he'd re-molded it from x-ray shielding and lo and behold, I found I couldn't scratch it with my fingernail. In fact, I had to use a very sharp woodworking chisel to pare some away to check; it feels more like bearing babbit than any lead I've encountered. Thanks for the heads-up...:thumb:
But, this nearly six-pound piece was at the bottom of a box of junk at a farm auction:
006.JPG
Old chisel marks from when it was cut from a larger ingot, apparently. Dead soft, probably plumber's lead?

Gun.........Of the 'bout 1/2 ton medical radiology lead I have , maybe 10 loose pounds is of uncertain origin. When you drop a piece of it on the concrete , it rings...."Ping". The soft lead goes "plop". I only keep the "ping" lead in case I have to make modern bullets due to political reasons to protect my family should hard times come.......Luck to ya....oldwood

Do any of you guys carve intials into lead chunks so you'll know what that ingot is composed of? Its fine and dandy when you can rely on a good memory but after a while they all look alike. Someday they could possibly wind up in someone else's hands and who knows how they'll be used. I use WW for wheel weights, PL for pure lead and FW for fishing weights. I even found one with a #1 scratched into it but don't recall what that means.

Latest posts

Back