• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED All the lead seems to have disappeared :(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my last score from the scrap yard was 80lbs of roof flashing. all that stuff needs cleaning but it's as easy as melting it down, stirring with my ladle and skimming the slag off the top. you need to stir the bottom of the pot to get the manure to float to the top.
Yeah, roofers don't clean their scrap, so there is a bit of fluxing and skimming to do to get it cleaned up, but it is nice, pure lead otherwise.

The cost is $0.10 to $0.15 for an absolutely perfectly swedged round ball which I can purchase for my 45 50 and 54. On a trail walk of 30 shots it may cost me $3.50. Compared to the cost of the gun, gas, registration the $3.50 is nothing. Why should I spend my valuable time making imperfect round balls.
Doc,

I have a 20+ shot a day habit. It started when I had a match coming up and couldn't find the right size rb in stock. Once I found out how fast I can crank out 300 rb from cheap scrap lead it was a done deal. My scores are pretty much the same with my home cast balls.

There seems to always be plenty of various kinds of scrap lead available locally on Facebook. I just bought 100 pounds of type lead for $2 per pound. He has plenty more available.

last time I bought swaged balls they were 18c apiece.. The pedersoli .435 rb for my lepage is 80c a ball before shipping.

Well, I just ordered up a brass .569 rb mold to feed my .58 cal. I didn't want a Lee .575 (usually ends up being tight, especially as I prefer thicker patches), the Lyman .570s are an arm and a leg up here and I wanted something tighter than Lee's .562. So, accounting for the shrinkage and my preference for patch material, .569 it is ;) If everything checks, I should be casting mostly pure lead balls at .572 which will still make 'em fairly tight with my patches, but not so much that I need my short starter and a mallet ;)

Now to find a casting pot again.

I have quite a few .50 caliber REAL bullets I no longer need. These are all cast by an acquaintance from pure lead. Some have been coated with bees wax and some are plain. I think I can get them all in a USPS Priority Mail small box. If you're interested, I'll count and weigh them. I'll accept a USPS Money Order in payment. How much will you pay including shipping to you?
Thanks for considering my offer!
Jayhawk Dan

Back