• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead Rivets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Muzzle Blasts has an article on knives where it states that lead rivets were sometimes used on sheaths instead of brass tacks.

I raced out to the garage and beat an unsuspecting lead ball to death, then used a screwdriver to make little lead pins. They worked! Ugly as heck, but so is all my leatherwork.

So, how early would these have been used? Were they really?

The Miller artwork shows "tack" sheaths but the problem is what were the tacks? Were they brass tacks with square shanks- such were trade goods dating back to the period. There are however sheaths with lead "tacks" made from perhaps balls or left over sprue material. Some of these sheaths are reported to have been carried by mountain men. There were also harness rivets available pre-1840.
Brasss tacks were probably used if available and lead used on the trail. If you use a round ball, and file it down, the "tack" has a round head that looks great. To keep the head in a round shape make a dished out surface in a wood board to support the round head while hammering the other side. The only trouble is this looks great but may not be PC.
The lead rivets I have seen in photographs are usually flat, probably the top of a sprue, the pointed or cone end of the sprue was likely filed down a bit, stuck through a hole in the leather, and peen hammerred in back. I think if you make lead rivets in that manner you will be more PC than trying to have a perfectly rounded head.
BTW- on some of the original sheaths the lead rivets (flat surface) seem to have slightly different diameters which would indicate something other than the sprue was used. Lead bars were carried at the time and a knife could have been used to chop out lead "nails" that were then used for the rivets. That sounds like what you did and you probably have something very close to the original.

I would think that you could make a rivet mould by drilling through soft steel longer than the rivet and countersinking the entry end. You need something to keep the molten lead from just running through, but there are several opiotns.

These rivets will likely require tapping with a punch from the bottom to get out of your mould.

You cut the rivets just a bit longer than needed; insert into the hole to be riveted and peen the straight end to flare it enough to hold.

This might make you a cleaner rivet.

CS

Back