• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead powder casks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfisher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has probably been brought up before but I am interested in finding out more about the design of the lead powder casks that were used by the Corp of Discovery. How were they built what did they look like , how were they sealed. I would appreciate any info and especially any drawings or photos. Thanks!

Thank you fellas for your replies, I guess I should have thought of going to google, I didn't think there would be that much info out there on them! Wow! Next question... Anyone here ever try to make one?????

A 4 pound canister has about 8 pounds of sheet lead...I just priced it. The lead alone would cost about $50.00

To pricy for me.. :shocked2:
One the size of a beer can would be right handy..

Yes , the size of a beer can is what I had in mind. Just occurred to me tho that would darn near be considered a pipe bomb by an non muzzleloading law enforcement officer. Probably not something you want to have in the trunk of your car???

In of it's own by its self...I don't think it would be. But! then I had an officer think a piece of weather stripping was a gun once. :doh: exercise your own best judgment.
I certainly would stamp/label it for identification purposes.
I would also take into consideration that lead is an excellent conductor of both heat and electricity.

Its one of those things that thirty years ago you wouldn't have to of worried about but in today's craziness everything and pert near everyone is suspect.

Back