• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

latest shoot cva hawken 50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

270WSMANIC

36 Cal.
Reaction score
DSCF5338_zps87de8afa.jpg

I had repositioned the peep sight and so wanted to start at 25yd to sight in. There is a low spot in my range at 25 so I set the box at a paced off 31yds. The sightin group is just out of the pix to the right eccept for the right three holes. I used 250gr lee reals for sight in, I then shot a group with the reals and was getting fliers. Most of the lees loaded with a sharp rap on the short starter but some loaded much easier like it had not filled out completly when I cast it. I didn't check the 3 shot group till done so I don't know which shot was the flier. I then switched to PA conicals and shot a couple groups, poor accuracy.
All shooting today was 65gr 777 need to try a higher charge with the PA's another time. By now the right side of the box was so shot up I moved to the target dot in the pix. I first shot 3 reels 2 of which are the bottom 2 holes, I think I had marked the group befor shooting the prb's but I then shot away some of my marks. Next time I will bring more boxes for different bullets or loads to save confusing myself. The first shot was with over powder wad and .020 patch the white looking patch that tore up. I can assume its one of the flyers? I then shot 6 more times using a .015 patch with over power wad, as you see those patches held together and most went into a tight group right side of the bullseye. The 250 reals show great promise of shooting good But I may need to do better quality control when casting/sorting them. This same day I also shot 6 reals at 100yds. Will post that pix later and will have some questions for you bullet casters.

DSCF5339_zpsdefd29c0.jpg

Ok this is 2 100yd 3shot groups with the 250gr reel. Group 1 as you can see is two holes, don't know where the other shot went as it missed the box. :cursing: One of the shots from group 2 was right there with group 1 with the other 2 way over to the left. My point of aim was the center of the box, so 3 of the 6 shots were only a bit right of point of aim. The five shots went into an 11.5 in group, if I knew where shot 6 went would be some bigger. Now for my question for you bullet casters. I have a lee bottom-pour furnace and I have always used the bottom pour feature and have noticed that it takes a bit longer to fill the cavity. I like using it because I don't have to worry about the scale on top however the dipper fills the cavity quicker and maybe I get more consitant bullets that way. Would appriciate any advice from those of you who cast. especially conicals.
By the way the other holes in the box with the x through them are from another days shoot.

I use a dipper when casting RB or Maxi Ball, seems to work better with the pure lead. I use my bottom pour when casting for centerfire handgun and rifle, the tin and antimony in the mix makes for a better fill.

that's some good shootin'. are you shooting RB's? i don't understand why you're using a patch. you can make wad's from cardboard or wool. what lube are you using? look's like it's verticle stringing.

If you would take the time to read his post you would know he's shooting 250 GRN. R.E.A.L.S.. and how much powder he is using. :slap:

i did read it, but it look's odd cause the patches look like they were shot with a RB. :wink:

The round ball group was shot using .015 wonderlubed patches.
The 100yd group was 250gr reals lubed with young country lube. The 31 yard target was shot with 3 different projectils prb, 250 Reals, and 140gr pa conicals. The part of the box in pix showes a group that was shot with 3 250gr reals, and 6 prb's. Don't feel bad about being confused. I was too when the shooting was over and I was trying to remember what hole was made by what bullet. From now on I think I'll use different boxes for different bullets and mark them better.
The reason the whole box was not showen in the pix with the other groups was to save more confusion of what bullet made what hole.

I found that the addition of a lubed, caliber sized fiber wad (Wonderwad) always tightened up the groups when shooting conicals and that the best accuracy I got was when using the 250 grain REAL bullets. Give them a try and see if you get better results. I would also see if using Goex or other traditional black powder improves the groups, if you can find any in your area.

By now I have forgoten but I think I did use the felt wad under the 250 Reals in the 100yd group. I think my main problem is poor quality control in casting. Sure is fun though hunting for that magic load. :wink:

i'm thinkin' now i want to use the Real 250gr for deer season, just because of more penetration. i've shot them at 100yds. and they grouped about 5". but that was 80gr of 2f, the same load as RB load. it may do better! sorry for rambling on you're post. :grin:

I have been getting some great results from my T/C Hawken with the 370gr Maxi, they ring my steel plate with authority. I cast them out of pure lead, and the Lyman mold likes to be very hot in order to give good bullets. I tried adding just a wee bit of tin in the past, but it made them grow a bit in diameter, and next to impossible to seat.

One of the main things I like about the 250 reals is that their not so much heavyer then the 170gr round ball that they add much recoil. The 320 reals,370 maxies, etc. will give you a sore sholder in a hurry at the bench. Also I'm assuming slow twists will stablize the shorter 250 better.

I don't notice a big jump in recoil between the RB and the Maxi, in my defense, I was shooting my 300 Win Mag and my 45/70 as well, the Hawken is a pussycat comparatively speaking.

My sholder not as tough maybe as 20 yrs ago, but when shooting 20 or 30 times from the bench I definatly feel a difference.

One of the reasons I would like to stick with PRB, I like to have fun while shooting, and will be the first to admit that I don't care for recoil like I used to. For me though, the Maxi just seems to shoot the best.

NM 50Cal said:
I don't notice a big jump in recoil between the RB and the Maxi, in my defense, I was shooting my 300 Win Mag and my 45/70 as well, the Hawken is a pussycat comparatively speaking.
Load it with 110-120 grains of 2F and a heavy 410 grain conical then say that.
:grin:

Well, I am pushing a 420gr bullet at 1900fps from a 7 1/2# Ruger #1, that tends to get my attention. I don't have a mold for anything bigger than the 370gr Maxi, or I would give it a go. Right now the Hawken is my fun gun, the others are more like tools to get a job done.

Back