• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latest Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ready to take it to the range tomorrow to see if it will shoot. This is the one with the 35 caliber barrel that we thought was a 36. It's patterned after my ancestors rifle.

IMG_6749.JPG

IMG_6747.JPG

Thanks for the comments. My ancestors rifle from the 1840's is what got me started into muzzle loading. Every time I'd go to my Grandfathers place I'd ask if I could see the old gun. It took me quite a few years before I could hold it up and line up the sights. I like the clean, uncluttered look of the back action style. It's also a plus that I don't know of anyone else who is building them these days and I'm a bit of an eccentric. This one weighs 6 3/4 lbs. I'm thinking that the next one will be a 45 caliber that will be easy for an old geezer to pack around and still have enough to knock down a deer. I built this one for something to do and probably to sell. It's coming out pretty nice and if it shoots I might have to keep it.

That's real nice. And like was said clean. Like the back action lock too. Is the hammer screw location intentionally that way? Either way nice.

Had to correct my spelling of intentionally. Geez

Last edited:
That's real nice. And like was said clean. Like the back action lock too. Is the hammer screw location intestinally that way? Either way nice.
Good catch! That's what happens when you get the lock location a little off. I had to relocate the hole in the hammer to get it to fit the nipple angle.

Man after my own heart! I give you the Chicken Rifle. .36 back action maple-stocked. An early (and rough) build. With it's black informal (delrin) ramrod. Notice the slightly pregnant look right around the breech that is endemic to the species... Shoots really well if I do my part, enough to win a match or two. The only disadvantage is on trail walks where the larger bullets come in handy. For 75 and 100 yd shots on metal I need at least one witness around with optics to confirm that I actually scored because you can't hear the bullet hit that far out. And try splitting a .36 bullet on an axe head sometime....

-Nick

Attachments

• chicken1.JPG
    chicken1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • chicken2.JPG
    chicken2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Man after my own heart! I give you the Chicken Rifle. .36 back action maple-stocked. An early (and rough) build. With it's black informal (delrin) ramrod. Notice the slightly pregnant look right around the breech that is endemic to the species... Shoots really well if I do my part, enough to win a match or two. The only disadvantage is on trail walks where the larger bullets come in handy. For 75 and 100 yd shots on metal I need at least one witness around with optics to confirm that I actually scored because you can't hear the bullet hit that far out. And try splitting a .36 bullet on an axe head sometime....

-Nick
Now that's a good looking rifle! What brand of lock is it? The rounded front of the plate is unusual. I keep looking for quality back action locks but they're really scarce. You're right about small caliber balls not ringing steel targets. Our club bought some green lights that attach to the targets that flash when the steel is hit. My 32 caliber will set them off. It's been a real help having them. They're made by Caldwell. As for splitting balls on an axe or splitting cards we're at a real disadvantage there for sure.

Now that's a good looking rifle! What brand of lock is it? The rounded front of the plate is unusual. I keep looking for quality back action locks but they're really scarce. You're right about small caliber balls not ringing steel targets. Our club bought some green lights that attach to the targets that flash when the steel is hit. My 32 caliber will set them off. It's been a real help having them. They're made by Caldwell. As for splitting balls on an axe or splitting cards we're at a real disadvantage there for sure.
Thanks! Mine is just a collection of parts that i thought would work well together. It has an L&R lock that I had to tinker with to actually make work. It came with a squared front end like yours, but I rounded it because I liked the look. But when you do that, the thin web of wood between the lock and the breechplug is then subject to cracks. So far there's only one small crack in mine and hopefully it won't get worse. Lesson learned. The only other option for using a back action lock that I know of is to go find an original that still works. I was thinking about looking for a crusty old (cheap) percussion shotgun with a working lock. But then the shape is going to be kinda random. Than again, it might be already engraved :)

Glad you like it! Next time, I'm going for a less glossy finish. Started with a blank from Dunlap Woodcraft.
-Nick
I like yours as well, but the question was asked to The Crisco Kid. I am looking for a half stock like his.

Latest posts

Back