• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lapping Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What distance were you shooting and where did it go? 12:00, 3:00, 10:00? :confused:

I'm shooting at 50 yards. The shot some times goes to the 1:30 position and others to 3 o'clock.

Hey Crows - Thom here ;
I'm with Zonie on this stuff..
A few questions to ask about .. :hmm:
Do you bench rest yer gun; or shoot off-hand ???
Have you found yer patches and seen if they were ripped or burned thru ??
Do you use store boughten balls or pour yer own??
What type of patching do you use and how thick is it ??
Do you change powder brands ??
Do ya flinch like I do ??
When you shoot- is it windy, rainy, sunny, humid ??
These are all things we kinda take into stride and adjust for..
I was blessed enough to shoot with one of the most grumpy, miserable, ugly old coots you would ever want to meet.. That man among others taught me sooooo much that I can never repay them ..He also was a International Gold Medal winner in Flintlock Smooth-bores !!!
Next time you go shoot ; take someone with you to watch and help you..
I hope this helps you.. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :snore:

That's a lot of question. Let me see if I can answer most of them.
I shoot off a bench. I don't make my own bullets. I use conical like T/C Maxi Ball 370 and hornady Great Plains 385's. I don't change powder brands. Elephant powder is what I use.
Weather report:
sunny, slight breeze, 58 degree, Humidity level: ?
When I clean it. None of the patches I use have any tears.
I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm thinking it more the rifle being the problem. More range time is needed to make sure.
- FallingCrows

FallingCrows said:
That's a lot of question. Let me see if I can answer most of them.
I shoot off a bench. I don't make my own bullets. I use conical like T/C Maxi Ball 370 and hornady Great Plains 385's. I don't change powder brands. Elephant powder is what I use.
Weather report:
sunny, slight breeze, 58 degree, Humidity level: ?
When I clean it. None of the patches I use have any tears.
I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm thinking it more the rifle being the problem. More range time is needed to make sure.
- FallingCrows

Have you tried putting a wad under the bullet? Hard felt or thick card stock will work wonders. [sometimes]
Do a search on "wads"

My 50 cal went from 4-5" down to under 1.1/2" at 100yds.

I hate to put a damper on some of this, but the post is about a free floating barrel for a muzzleloader.
If there are comments on loads, wind speed and such, they really need to be made in another area like the Percussion forum or the Accuracy Forum.

If there are comments about using modern rifle methods like a free floating barrel on a muzzleloader then have at it. :)

Actually it was about how to lap and float a barrel, but the subject got away from us.

I'd like to post my results with the JB Bore compound,so maybe this should be moved to the proper area of the forum?

- FallingCrows.

Latest posts

Back