• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lancaster Patchbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallbear

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I posted this patchbox in another thread a while back.It's a little further along so I thought I would repost it's progress.I did some scraching on it Friday.It still has quite a bit of cleanup and polishing to be done.I will post some pics when it's complete.The rifle is a post 1800 Lancaster inspired by the work of John Hagee/Hagy.

Mitch Yates
IMG_4758_zps93bfdf79.jpg

IMG_4757_zps082e634a.jpg

IMG_4765_zps56cc3c5c.jpg

Excellent work which should give you a great deal of satisfaction.....Fred

Thanks guys!! I will post the final pics in a couple of weeks.Got a show this week end so will be out of the shop for a few days.

Mitch

I call it scratching because while I can do "longrifle" engraving my work does'nt compare to some who frequent here.If you study the engraving on most American Longrifles it is far more folksy than what was being done on European work.Look at Jerry Huddleston's work or the work of Davec2 or Wick Ellerby now that's engraving.While my work is improving and is fitting for American longrifles I still have a long way to go before I can call what I do engraving.The good part is i have the rest of my life to continue to improve :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mitch Yates

Heres a preview of the carving on the other side.Not quite finished but getting there.The rifle will be at the Lewisberg Pa. show this weekend.Stop in and say Hi!!

Mitch Yates
IMG_4769_zps88bb6c2a.jpg

man that's nice work Mitch.
I'll stop by your table on Friday and see it in the flesh.
might even pick your brain a bit - if I may - for some advice on the piece I'm workin on.
/mike

That looks great! Could you give any additional detail on the button / latch. I am in the middle of a similar project and am looking at various latch styles.

Thanks!!

Jim
I'm just unpacking from the Lewisberg Artisan Show this morning.I will get some pics up later today or tomarrow.

Mitch Yates

Jim
Here is the mechanism,it is based on one from a JP Beck rifle.While i have no pics of the inside of a Hagy rifle Beck worked close by so that's what i used.When the rifle is finished the button will be a lot closer to the buttplate as it is currently removable so I can clean up the buttplte and PB cavity when the gun is finally finished.Once the rifle is finished I will cut some barbs on the shank of the button with a small cold chisel and drive it home.

Mitch
IMG_4782_zps4466c12e.jpg

IMG_4783_zps174fb10e.jpg

Back