• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lace up leather pad damage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
Hi,

I've read in places over the internet that having lace up leather pads on the butts of wooden guns can really deteriorate whatever it is in contact with. I haven't been able to find any actual photos of it though so am unsure if it is true.

Can you guys please clarify if this is a serious risk or not? If so I guess ill just have to remove it after every hunt.

I’m with Roaring Bull. I had a leather sling on a muzzleloader that had a cover over the butt stock. It did tarnish some of the tacks that were covered by it but not the wood. The only wood damage I have ever seen was on a butt stock that had a rubber slip on recoil pad that had been left on for years and kind of “glued” itself to the stock. Probably because of heat, it damaged the finish but not the wood per say.

It's weird, I vaguely recall reading a similar thing many moons ago, Rabbit, but I have no idea where. I do know that some on the knife forums say chrome tanned leather will corrode steel (due to tanning salts) and prefer veg tanned for that reason. Perhaps these chems can damage wood or wood finishes as well? 🤔

I suspect that this factoid came from someone leaving a leather pad on a gun with a metal butt plate. The acids in the leather used to tan it could and do sometimes corrode metal under certain circumstances, especially brass. I have left suppository ammo in leather cartridge loops and found the brass of the cases had turned green with corrosion.

Intrigued by this thread I took my TC Hawken out of the safe. It been there untouched for 21 years. It was left with the leather sling attached. No damage at all to the Tru Oil finished stock when I removed the sling. There was some green brass/copper residue on the leather and the brass that cleaned off easily with a little rubbing with Ballistol. There was no corrosion of the brass. It was only a bit shinier then the original, tarnished surface.
41350368-AA65-4F22-968A-6B439E16748A.jpeg
A301D846-6BA4-4720-A645-CCB9F02F44C7.jpeg
A33A8A30-EF6A-4BA1-A576-5AB4370DDA9B.jpeg

Attachments

• 7D3C0482-4767-4A10-85DE-F1DD9FB2D84A.jpeg
    7D3C0482-4767-4A10-85DE-F1DD9FB2D84A.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 68
Intrigued by this thread I took my TC Hawken out of the safe. It been there untouched for 21 years. It was left with the leather sling attached. No damage at all to the Tru Oil finished stock when I removed the sling. There was some green brass/copper residue on the leather and the brass that cleaned off easily with a little rubbing with Ballistol. There was no corrosion of the brass. It was only a bit shinier then the original, tarnished surface.
View attachment 58799View attachment 58801View attachment 58802

Proof is in the pudding.

I don't know how to tell the difference between veg and Chrome tanned leather.
Most, if not all leather vendors label their products as brain, chrome or vegetable tanned, at least those I've done business with. If you're buying from an individual and they don't know then don't use it to wrap or store your firearms in.
Now, if you already have leather that you were planning on using test for the Siegal Effect. Cut a small strip and place it in boiling water, if it coils immediately it's vegetable tanned, if it doesn't coil it's chrome tanned.

Vegetable tanned leather should not cause a problem.
Veg tanned leather will still react with brass and create the green coloring (verdigris) but should not affect steel as long as everything stays dry.

Back