• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R Replacement locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Unfortunately FedEx lost my original 2001 flint lock being sent to Cabin Creek for a tuning. I am now faced with getting another one from Lyman, which broke flints forever, or going with the above replacement. I know they aren't a "drop In" but I am willing to do the work. Do I get an RPL-03 or an RPL-05 for my 2001 Trade rifle?

Not sure which model you need for your "trade rifle". The descriptions on Track of the Wolf are pretty good. I used the 05 model on my Lyman (Investarms) GPR. It took a SIGNIFICANT amount of wood removal to fit. I didn't have to do any barrel work to get the flash hole lined up with the pan though.

All in all I'm pleased with the result. The quality of the lock is a 1000 times better than the factory version.

IMG_0407 (1).jpeg

Either way, but just know that the RPL is NOT a "drop in" arraignment by anyone's standards.

I’ve just been working with L&R lock for a Lyman and would like to give some observations on them. The internal parts aren’t well finished in the ones I’ve handle. The tumbler fit the bridle well but the hole in the plate are loose. The sear spring is short with the tip bearing on the sear too far from the screw. This gives a heavy trigger on a single trigger. Anything can be improved just be aware so you can deal with them as you see fit.

I put one in a Deer Creek mountain rifle (percussion)
Minimal wood removal and a little filing. Big difference in quality between original and replacement

Don't know if all the TCenter flint are troublesome, but had to move the lock in the up direction so the touch hole aligned , and fill in the lower side of the lock mortise w/ walnut to heal the gap. Also , the set trigger needed inlet a little to make it function. The new lock worked well.................olswood

Thanks for all of the replies! My Trade Rifle takes the 05 model. Just ordered one from L&R yesterday and Tim was very helpful. They seem to stand by their locks very well.

Back