• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R Manton plate to small Siler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, about 20 years ago I built my first flintlock rifle....a .32 Tenessee rifle with a nice curly maple stock, a Green Mountain barrel, and an L&R Manton lock.
The lock turned out to be not very dependable, and a very nice rifle has hung in the rack for most of the last 20 years. :shake:

So, I've been thinking about some way to change the lock. Can I take a small Siler lock plate, cut it to the shape of the Manton plate, and drop all of the Siler works into the mortise on my rifle? :hmm:

I have a 25 caliber rifle that has a Manton Lock and it works O.K. Can't you call L&r to see what is the matter or send it back to get it fixed.

I have two rifles with 20+ year old Mantons that have never had a problem. You may want to do a little tuning and see if that helps.

As for replacing with a small Siler, if the plate is larger than the Manton just re-inlet the new lock into the rifle. It would be a lot easier than cutting down the small Siler's plate and hoping you don't cut into the guts.

Why don't you tell us what's going on with the Manton first to see if someone will give you some suggestions on fixing it?

Sean

Back