• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of the more serious builders that know what a tuned lock should look and act like will tell you to avoid them and that the Chambers locks (among others) are a better deal for only a few bucks more. That said, I've had several L&R locks and they've been fine. Full disclosure, I did send one to Cabin Creek for tuning once (I can't even remember what was wrong with it or why I sent it) and I've had it for a long time since then and it works flawlessly.
Well put ....

Hi,
When I choose locks for guns if the style of gun is right I would first choose Chris Laubach's Germanic lock, then Jim Kibler's round faced and flat faced English locks, and then locks by Chambers. Again it all depends on the style of gun. After those makers, I consider all the rest as distant third placers. My favorite locks are the ones I build. Here is a thread about working over an L&R lock.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=60628.msg610320#msg610320
dave

L&R are mid-range on quality. Jim Chambers locks are a lot better...
I have to differ with you on this. This are both great locks. You have to tune all of them.
My Chamber's Late Ketland was tuned by ole man Rice. I got lucky and got the best of both worlds.

Now here is my beef. If you buy a Chamber's lock. The ONLY place you can get parts or repair is from Jim. I had to send my to him. (I did something dumb)

L&R locks you can get parts from a lot of dealers. Every lock smith I know loves to work on them.

L & R is right down the road from me in Sumter, SC. I am building my first two from scratch, and I was encouraged by a fellow who worked with those guys for a while and recommended I purchase an L&R for my first builds. I like the idea of being able to drive an hour and sit down with Bill, and that may be to my advantage.

I have to differ with you on this. This are both great locks. You have to tune all of them.
My Chamber's Late Ketland was tuned by ole man Rice. I got lucky and got the best of both worlds.

Now here is my beef. If you buy a Chamber's lock. The ONLY place you can get parts or repair is from Jim. I had to send my to him. (I did something dumb)

L&R locks you can get parts from a lot of dealers. Every lock smith I know loves to work o
Hi,
No you can get parts for Chambers locks from Track of the Wolf. I am a good lock smith and I don't much like working on L&R locks although sometimes I have to. The problem with threads like this is inevitably someone writes they don't like a product and someone else writes they used that product for years and never had problems, and on and on. A smart person reading all that should realize at least two things. First, people may have very different standards about what constitutes a good lock and secondly, the manufacturer involved may have a quality control problem. Moreover, those circumstances are not mutually exclusive.

dave

For a new build I would buy the best I could afford. For an replacement to fit a production rifle, what option besides L &R exists? An earlier post commented on the RPL's not being drop in, one must consider just what you are working on, additional fitting surely exists beyond the factory if adding a lock to a wood stocked rifle.

I have used L&R locks and they have performed flawlessly. I have used locks from several companies and they have all required some sanding except one a Robbins lock. I have used DGW locks and with some work they have made serviceable locks that got the job done. If your looking for a back action that kinda limits where you can get it .

I put one in my grandson's rifle and had Brad at Cabin creek fix/tune it he stated that it had a lot to fix cost more than the lock ,
DSC03648.JPG
my Chambers locks are much better out of the box !
toms build lock.JPG
DSC03676 (2).JPG
allen martin lock.jpg
DSC03010.JPG
DSC03162.JPG
Brad Tunes those locks for 1/3 the cost of the L&R 01 replacement No more kit guns or L&R for me

Attachments

• DSC02924.JPG
    DSC02924.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If someone had a choice, I can’t understand why they would willfully choose a lock from this company.

Pay attention to what highly respected professionals say and what the use.

Because sometimes we DON'T have a choice. You could fix that by upping your side-hustle lock business.

Make both of the locks you currently produce to fit the left side of the gun.

Introduce a Durs Egg or Manton lock and make them for both sides of the gun. People still scratch-build pistols and double guns you know and those that do don't like having to use locks that suck, especially if they're building them to sell. You won't even have to offer gun kits for the new lock styles, just sell them outright and offer spare parts. Seems like it would be a big return for relatively small headache compared to introducing a whole new kit.

Because sometimes we DON'T have a choice. You could fix that by upping your side-hustle lock business.

Make both of the locks you currently produce to fit the left side of the gun.

Introduce a Durs Egg or Manton lock and make them for both sides of the gun. People still scratch-build pistols and double guns you know and those that do don't like having to use locks that suck, especially if they're building them to sell. You won't even have to offer gun kits for the new lock styles, just sell them outright and offer spare parts. Seems like it would be a big return for relatively small headache compared to introducing a whole new kit.
I would use a different style of lock. Between what we offer and Chambers, there is a pretty extensive choice.

Ive never personally owned a L&R an never will. Ive read enough bad things on many different forums an knowing my luck I would get the worst one ever to ship out the door. The only way I would use a L&R lock is if I absolutely had to. Since you need a back action you may have to so I would have it shipped to Brad at Cabin Creek an have him tune it an get it in working order. Then at least when you do get it in your hands it should work properly. If you use it as is from the factory it might work or might not.

The problem with tuning a sloppy lock is that it will require extensive rebuilding, not just polish here and there. The metal you need to make it fit and run optimally is already missing. By the time I make new parts and rework others, making a percussion lock from scratch starts to make more sense.

As already pointed out, it depends on what you consider to be an acceptable lock. They work as sold and can be sent back if they do not.

Back