• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco Tom

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the opinion of the L&R Replacement lock for the Thompson Center Renegade/Hawken? I understand the lock needs fitted.
Is this lock worth the price over a regular T/C lock?

It is a better lock. It also has a flat mainspring rather than a coil spring, thus making it period correct. In all probability it will most likely need some minor fitting.

Because the L&R lock has a flat mainspring that sticks further into the stock, the wood in the lock mortice will have to be removed to make room for it.

Zonie, you're right in that some wood will have to be removed from the mortice, but I did say that some minor fitting will probably be needed. It's not really that big of a job to do so. If Tuco Tom is unable to do it himself there are plenty of competent gunsmits out there that can do so for a reasonable price. Marbe the cost doesn't justify the work or the expense, but personally I feel the L&R to be a superior lock. Just my opinion though.

Back