• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R Lock Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuschFlint99

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m currently in the process of finishing an L&R lock for my Gemmer Hawken Kit. Can someone give me some tips, tricks, pointers on how to finish a lock? I have never done one before.

Note: I have a mainspring vise on the way from TOTW so I can disassemble the lock.

• How do I smooth out the inside of the pan?
• Heat blue or LMF Brown?

Attachments

• 3B8B630A-3AEC-4D28-BE58-CB3CC13C0536.jpeg
    3B8B630A-3AEC-4D28-BE58-CB3CC13C0536.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2F00D1F5-7EE4-4761-A337-5F2247EEC706.jpeg
    2F00D1F5-7EE4-4761-A337-5F2247EEC706.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 55
Hi,
Depending on how historically correct you want to be, the inside and outside of the lock should be polished removing the textured cast finish. Lock parts were not cast when Hawkens were made. They were forged, swaged, and filed to shape. I use a Dremel tool with a round stone burr to clean up my pans. Then I use a silica abrasive disk with the Dremel to polish them. I am not aware of any surviving flintlock Hawken rifles so how they finished the outside of the lock is open to question. However, color case hardening is one option, leaving bright is another, and temper bluing is a third. Rust browning began to become popular in the US by the early 1800s so browning would also be a choice but after polishing off the cast surface.

dave

I have a gunsmith friend who gave me a stack of these plastic bowls, when I am building a gun each one will have a different collection of parts them. One bowl for the lock parts (be sure to sandwich the fly between two piece of painters tape and write FLY on the package), one for trigger parts, one for pins and screws etc.

I am assembling a new gun today so all the bins are empty except for pins and screws and the brass parts.

parts cups.JPG

I have a gunsmith friend who gave me a stack of these plastic bowls, when I am building a gun each one will have a different collection of parts them. One bowl for the lock parts (be sure to sandwich the fly between two piece of painters tape and write FLY on the package), one for trigger parts, one for pins and screws etc.

I am assembling a new gun today so all the bins are empty except for pins and screws and the brass parts.

View attachment 101386
Glue small magnets to the bottom of your bowls so they will still sit properly and will 'grab' the parts in the bowl to prevent loss. Sewing supply stores sell small metal bowls with magnets built in on the bottom for holding needles, threaders, thimbles, etc.

Back