• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knowing when you have the right load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john4645

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was attempting to shoot a card today and was wondering, if a person does not quite know what they are doing yet, besides accuracy is there other factors that play into if you have the right load. I have a 20ga that with a .595 ball and pillow ticking it is somewhat a tight fit. I Still can just push the ball in and it goes down the barrel easy. (Thinner ticking seems to always burn thru.) I have tried anywhere from 60grns to 90grns and it does'nt seem to matter. However more powder more flames and powder in the snow. I did order a .590 ball mould and I will try that. I guess my question is, does a couple of grns at a time matter or do you go 5 or 10 at a time? I am looking for a overall suggestion on how to shoot a smoothbore. Thanks for any imput.

I once had a pistol that shot well with 20-25 grns of 3F, but shot better and made little clover leaf patterns at 25yd (off a rest) with 22 1/2 grns of 2F. My point is keep working with loads and try different patch material, just because its the same thickness doesn't mean that it'll shoot the same. Yes a couple of grains can make a difference. :thumbsup:

In my smoothbores i use an overpowder and cushion wad glued together and then lubed before the patched rd. ball. I use a .600 rd ball and a .010 patch and with the wads, the patch doesn't burn through. With a rifle, normally going up or down 5 grs at a time is sufficient. Once you find the most accurate load in a given powder range you might tweek it a little if you want.

Yer going the wrong way with your ball size! You need a .600 and use .018 pillow tick with a good lube. Start at 60gr of 3fff and go up five grains at a time till you hit the "sweet spot"
I had a friend that had a 20ga gun that settled in at 45gr 3fff. Some others won't settle down till you get near 90gr.

My bore mics out at .617 and like I said a .595 ball is tight. But I don't have a clue on how tight or loose a patched ball should be in a smoothebore.

john4645 said:
My bore mics out at .617 and like I said a .595 ball is tight. But I don't have a clue on how tight or loose a patched ball should be in a smoothebore.

Back in the old days of matchlocks, they had to hammer in the ball... :shocked2:

The patch will compress and give some...

I had gotten great accuracy with a 62 cal smooth with an almost thumb start set up. Guns can be picky.

When you do start up workin up a load. What distance do you start out at typically 10-15-25 yrds?

Just to add anouther "fly-in-the-ointment", I like a smaller ball and thicker patch combo. Carries more lube to keep fouling soft (or so it appears) and the thicker the patch the more you have to compress and give a wider contact point around the ball for a better (easier) seal w/ less chance of a blown patch.
In my .75 I'm preferring 2Fg over 3Fg. Cost a bit more per shot, but the back of my patches don't burn (have used over several times). And with the 2Fg I don't get that wicked crud ring just in front of where the ball seats.
They're all diff. I guess, but this works well for me.
Bottom line? You've got to experiment and find what works for you.

the biggest change in accuracy with my 12 ga was putting a card wad over the powder. changing ball size/ patch thickness doesn't seem to matter much as long as the combination is still tight {just enough to thumb start} but the wad makes a huge difference for some reason.

Latest posts

Back