• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim has hinted at another style long gun being offered in the future. I'd love to see him offer a Fowler or trade gun. Any one have any Intel to share?

He has some great new Q&A videos on his YouTube channel. He says many people have asked for a fowler and a fowler is most probably going to happen sometime in the future.

He had mentioned that in one of his videos and he said no it would not. But I'll be honest with you there is nothing wrong with his locks they're good freaking locks. It's a roller lock so it's a fast lock.

I'm perfectly ok with his lock. Nothing but good things said about it. I have two Chambers late ketlands but only have a plan for one. :)

I'm perfectly ok with his lock. Nothing but good things said about it. I have two Chambers late ketlands but only have a plan for one. :)

Here's video I made for my YouTube channel on his new roundfaced lock. It's unbelievably gentle on flints....

Kiblers Round Faced Lock

...it's one of my earlier videos so be gentle...

Last edited:
Jim has hinted at another style long gun being offered in the future. I'd love to see him offer a Fowler or trade gun. Any one have any Intel to share?
Yeah he said he's going to be possibly coming out with a Fowler in the very near future.

Here's video I made for my YouTube channel on his new roundfaced lock. It's unbelievably gentle on flints....

Kiblers Round Faced Lock

...it's one of my earlier videos so be gentle...
My that's hard to watch from a presser flake perspective. He just cut the flint life in half with that beating he gave the edge! It wasn't straight across the edge any more either. That demonstration is hard on the half cock notch beating on a flint that way. The original flint edge came from a blade struck off from a core it was not made by a brass hammer as pictured and niether should the new one be.

My that's hard to watch from a presser flake perspective. He just cut the flint life in half with that beating he gave the edge! It wasn't straight across the edge any more either. That demonstration is hard on the half cock notch beating on a flint that way. The original flint edge came from a blade struck off from a core it was not made by a brass hammer as pictured and niether should the new one be.

Flint life in half? I assume that’s hyperbole. Literally 4 tiny flakes came off of that flint. If you dead swing a hammer (with elbow only) it’s hard to get more than a few ounces force.... that’s not the prettiest way to knap but it works just fine.

Not my greatest video, no argument there.

Do your self a favor and look at some flint knapping videos on pressure flaking , you'll pitch that little brass hammer in the scrap metal pile. I was to blunt and apologize for being rude, the video is well made but the technique can be greatly improved on.
I really did mean half of it's life. Look at the length of the flint before and after the hammer treatment!
With pressure flaking you will be able to keep the edge straight across, lower or elevate it without flipping the bevel and only remove a fraction of flint that the hammer did . You won't knock the corners off either.
I really like the looks and performance of the round face lock by Kibler!

Last edited:
Do your self a favor and look at some flint knapping videos on pressure flaking , you'll pitch that little brass hammer in the scrap metal pile. I was to blunt and apologize for being rude, the video is well made but the technique can be greatly improved on.
I really did mean half of it's life. Look at the length of the flint before and after the hammer treatment!
With pressure flaking you will be able to keep the edge straight across, lower or elevate it without flipping the bevel and only remove a fraction of flint that the hammer did . You won't knock the corners off either.
I really like the looks and performance of the round face lock by Kibler!

No sweat. It's all good. I've seen every way one can knap a flint. I use a pressure rod, hammer, back of my knife, and they all work just fine. Some, as you say, better than others.....

Last edited:
I meant knapping videos of point making using pressure flaking with copper and or mild steel pointed tools and indirect percussion for more course work. This will give you far more control over shape and edge profile than will percussion flaking alone. In point making the pressure flake is used for the final detail work to bring the edge up to maximum sharpness and shape.

I meant knapping videos of point making using pressure flaking with copper and or mild steel pointed tools and indirect percussion for more course work. This will give you far more control over shape and edge profile than will percussion flaking alone. In point making the pressure flake is used for the final detail work to bring the edge up to maximum sharpness and shape.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I'll take a peek.

One more tip on consistent spark generation I discovered is to cloth wipe the bottom edge of the flint and the frizzen face of pan fouling with each shot. Don't use your finger as body oil will retard spark generation but a little rag towel or even your shirt tail will work in a pinch. Has the same effect as wiping a bore between shots to control fouling build up which does hinder spark generation.
Consistent Spark generation has at least as much effect on accuracy as does how one controls trigger break , in actuality they are inseparably linked!

Last edited:
Wipe the flint bottom and frizzen each shot as well. You must do a lot of bench shooting. I don’t wear enough shirttails for that myself, as I shoot in the woods and from the bag out here in the hills, but if one has a range box full of rags I’m positive it’s a handy thing to do.

I do have one of Al Martin’s honking early Lancasters with a Rice barrel, finicky thing, that likes to be wiped every four or five shots but a vast majority don’t. Tight loads and a lube that’ll keep your fouling moist to be pushed down by the next load, and blown out with the shot is how I’ve handled fouling, well, since the 80’s anyway. My first shot after wiping seems to want to slide a bit out of my group so I try to avoid that but I’m glad it works for you. Something always does. Keep her shiney. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back